You can type here any text you want

Oil Priming Problem

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mtbraun

I am having trouble priming my oil system. I used the oil cooler line method instead of packing the pump gears with vaseline. I was able to get about a half quart of oil in the top cooler line and the rest went in the crank case. I am using a cordless drill on low speed, and have spun the pump for about 10 minutes before I run out of battery. I have an unheated garage so the oil temp is about 40 degrees, which I know is not helping me. Should I used a corded drill on high to get the pressure up? I know I am buildig some pressure as I can feel the torque in the drill, and also had a small leak at the oil cooler line fitting to the radiator. But I'm not getting any oil up on the rockers. Thoughts?

Did you fill the filter with oil first?

You may need to fill the oil line, and then turn the pump prime shaft counter-clockwise by hand to fill the cavity before you hook it up to the radiator cooler.

If the cooler line will not fill, the bypass is probably open?

Call me Matt if you need more help.

The cooler line filled, but it was slow, which I attributed to the cold temperatures. I did run the shaft counterclockwise but it didn't seem to help suck the oil down the cooler line. I did not fill the filter. I'm pretty sure the bypass was closed when I put the oil pump back on the TC.

You may need a bigger, corded drill - My GN loses prime every winter when I store it and I need to prime it when I take it out of storage and it taxes my corded drill enough to make it smoke, but I have 20W-50 in the crankcase...

Just pop the oil pump cover off and pack the gears with vasoline and be done with it. Seriously, do it right the first time and do it once. If you are trying to get a new engine to prime after a bearing failure, do NOT re-use the oil cooler. It is dirty and cannot be completely cleaned. In your neck of the woods the oil cooler is not needed anyway. I use a 1/2" drive corded drill to prime an engine. There is quite a load on the drill. Did you remember to install the pick-up tube in the pan? Oil gallery plugs behind the cam gear? Also, rotate the engine by hand while priming the engine to make sure all the oil galleries are filled.

Back