You can type here any text you want

Oil pump priming and cam break in.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jordan_J

First off I'm not sure how to prime the oil pump on the car. I know how it works with distributers. So is there a how to on it anywhere?

Secondly which oil is best for flat tappet cam break in? Will 5w-30 be fine? I have Lucas oil zinc additive for it also.

Lastly am I missing anything from the initial start up break in? From what I gathered you do the above two things right plus immediately bring the rpm up to 2000-3000 and vary it for 20 minutes then shut it down and let the engine cool.

Thanks guys!

First off I'm not sure how to prime the oil pump on the car. I know how it works with distributers. So is there a how to on it anywhere?

Secondly which oil is best for flat tappet cam break in? Will 5w-30 be fine? I have Lucas oil zinc additive for it also.

Lastly am I missing anything from the initial start up break in? From what I gathered you do the above two things right plus immediately bring the rpm up to 2000-3000 and vary it for 20 minutes then shut it down and let the engine cool.

Thanks guys!

to prime the poil pump some use a rod on the end of a drill,or pack the housing with vasaline.. i find the drill works much better... i have also just started the motor before and ran the oil pressure up i do not reccomend this method. As far as additive use whatever give you peace of mind i prefer lucas but its up to you..Now for start up..the way i look at it is its eith gonna run or not so.start it up idle it at 2000 rpm for 15-20 min. then drop idle down to 800-1000 and rev the piss out of it a few times. the reason i do this is because when i build a race motor (sbc) for any of my buddies if it makes it through the break in process it will hold up to anything they do to it.All you wanna do is simulate a pass I have never had one blow yet... Everything depends on how clean it was during assembly and how well the clearances are. the rest is all working parts unless they are faulty your gonna be fine.. so 2000 rpm for 20 min then wrap it up a couple times then turn off change oil to mobile one synthetic and your ready to go. no reason to baby a good motor.

Autozone rents these oil pump primers. $25.00 deposit and got back $22.00 when I was done. $3.00 rental aint bad.

to prime the poil pump some use a rod on the end of a drill,or pack the housing with vasaline.. i find the drill works much better... i have also just started the motor before and ran the oil pressure up i do not reccomend this method. As far as additive use whatever give you peace of mind i prefer lucas but its up to you..Now for start up..the way i look at it is its eith gonna run or not so.start it up idle it at 2000 rpm for 15-20 min. then drop idle down to 800-1000 and rev the piss out of it a few times. the reason i do this is because when i build a race motor (sbc) for any of my buddies if it makes it through the break in process it will hold up to anything they do to it.All you wanna do is simulate a pass I have never had one blow yet... Everything depends on how clean it was during assembly and how well the clearances are. the rest is all working parts unless they are faulty your gonna be fine.. so 2000 rpm for 20 min then wrap it up a couple times then turn off change oil to mobile one synthetic and your ready to go. no reason to baby a good motor.

I'll be good to use mobil one synthetic that quickly?

Thanks for the info guys!

Autozone rents these oil pump primers. $25.00 deposit and got back $22.00 when I was done. $3.00 rental aint bad.

You didn't get all of it back David? It's suposed to be completely free and you should've gotten the full amount back. Somethings not right there.:(

He's right, you should have got 100% of your money back. Still a good deal and I would not complain. Autozone tool rental is great.

You didn't get all of it back David? It's suposed to be completely free and you should've gotten the full amount back. Somethings not right there.:(

yeah the parts guy wanted a coke and a candy bar.:eek: you gotta watch out for them guys..

After breakin of cam instead of free reving it, I would put it in drive with brakes on & build 5-6 lbs of boost a few times to seat the rings. These days they seat almost asap on a good build. The boost helps them along.

Hey now, I'm one of "them guys" William.:mad: Not all of them are out to screw you and I'm not there by choice but by needing money.:mad:

i was too. I was service manager for pep boys for 6 years then comercial sales manager for 4 then store manager for advance.. now i am a car salesman..:eek:.... i was kidding about the coke anyhow i always stole mine anyhow.:cool:

Back