Oil Question?

GSTOY

I'm curious as to what everyone uses for oil?

I'm a member on the Buick v8 site and recently their was thread about how the newer oil's (2005 and newer) have less zinc and phosphorus which is causing premature flat tappet wear.

I personally use nothing but Amsoil in my vehicles, so I wrote to them about this.

They responded back saying that their AMO 10W-40, ARO 20W-50, HDD Series 3000 5W-30 Diesel Oil, TRO 20W-50 and AHR SAE 60 Racing oils have the needed Zinc and Phosphorus levels for flat tappet cams, approx 1266 ppm for phosphorus and 1378 ppm for zinc.

Buick calls for 10W30 for the 3.8L turbo, but that oil does not have the needed zinc and phosphorus, so I plan on running the AMO 10W-40.

Thoughts???

Thanks,

Steve
72 GS Vert undergoing frame off restro
New to the stable as of this Friday, 87 GN

rotella t 15-45 and stp oil treatment thats all and i never had a cam issue. the stp has a high level of zppd as well as rotella but its a lower level now than before

If the motor still has a flat tappet cam, then you have to be careful on the type of oil you use. The modern day oils do NOT have the required amount of zinc and phosphorus that is needed by the Turbo Buick engine. If you are going to need to add some type of zinc additive to the oil.

If the motor has a roller cam and roller rockers, then it really doesn't matter on the oil. The modern day engine has everything "roller" reason why they can use the modern day oil.

Too much zinc with a roller equipped motor can make the roller bearings "glide" causing major wear.

It is not a perfect world.

I personally use Rotella 15w-40 since I buy it by the case for my Powerstroke's oil requirement. My engine has a roller cam and rockers.

Valvoline Racing oil (NOT VR1-the one you have to order and is not street legal) has increased amounts of zinc in it. Valvoline.com - Racing Products

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com