You can type here any text you want

Oil slinger Question? Who's right?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GSTOY

Just got my short block back from the machine shop Friday, and this weekend I spent doing the clearances on the front timing cover and oil pump. As I was about to put the timing cover on for the last time, I noticed my oil slinger was missing. So I tore the house up, no luck, called the machine shop this morning, and they don't have it, plus they said it won't be needed for my application since I'm running a double roller, and I have a GM cover (seal on the backside) with a neoprene seal.

I went looking at previous posts about this, and some echoed the same thoughts that if your running a double roller, it will not work, it will interfere with the chain, and some said that it's main purpose was to deflect oil away from the front seal because all they had were the rope seals, and with the new neoprene seals, it's not really needed. So who's right?

My new short block build consists of the following: Steel Crank, K-1 Rods, Diamond .20 over slugs, center billit main caps and roller 206/210 cam. Front cover has Earl's oiling mods done to it and neoprene seal. :biggrin:

Thanks
Steve

I always re-use it... If nothing else, it is a spacer (although very thin) without it you won't have perfect pully alignment which can wreak havoc at high RPM.

Iv'e built quite afew of these engines ALL with double roller chains and I ALWAYS use the oil slinger. NO problems with one in the 19 years Iv'e been using them.

without the slinger, the crank sensor gets grooved by the reluctor wheel. it spaces out the balancer by the required **** hair.

I wonder if the oil slinger from a 455 block might work? I've got a 455 block sitting wrapped up waiting to be rebuilt, but that will be way down the road.

I wonder if the oil slinger from a 455 block might work? I've got a 455 block sitting wrapped up waiting to be rebuilt, but that will be way down the road.

You might try to get one from your local GM dealer,it's worth a call and they may have one left in the system.

I bought one a few years ago from the local GM dealer here.

John :smile:

slinger

serves 3 purposes
Deflects oil from seal
slings oil up on chain and gears
is necessary to keep the ring spaced out and off the front cover.
Has nothing to do with whatever chain you are using. (assuming the thickness of the crank gears are the same and all are not)
Machine shop don't know everything--some think they do.

I rebuilt a Stage II motor originally assembled by Duttweilers where the oil slinger had been left out. On that engine the crankshaft snout was long enough that when the crank pulley bolt was torqued the washer actually bottomed out on the forward end of the crankshaft rather than tightening down the stack up of the balancer and lower timing gear.

What happened over time was that the key way in both the balancer and lower gear wore to the point that there was variable cam and ignition timing. If the slinger had been installed the additional thickness would have eliminated this problem.

Neal

Thanks for all the replies. I went down yesterday to the dealership to see if they still can be ordered..Good news, yes, the Memphis GM warehouse had them, so I've got a couple on the way. :biggrin:

Steve

Thanks for all the replies. I went down yesterday to the dealership to see if they still can be ordered..Good news, yes, the Memphis GM warehouse had them, so I've got a couple on the way. :biggrin:

Steve

just curious, steve, how much were they from GM?

Honesty I can't remember the cost, I know he told me, but I was just happy they still had some available, but they were not expensive from what I remember, I want to say 5 to 10 dollars. I will post cost and part number once I receive them.

Steve

I received my oil slingers yesterday, (one for safe keeping) and they were 7.95ea. GM Part# 1193967...now if I can get my BHJ internally balenced balencer, I can get this engine put together and running.

Steve

Back