OK Buick vs. Ford Shootout

I agree with everyone.It was a blast.Took my daily driver "T" down there(I bought it at the race last year)and got one for the team.First time the car had been to the track since I owned it.Didn't run as fast as I'm used to with stock TR's but considering my problems all day,I'll take a 13.44 win over a 12 sec. loss any day............As far as the sandbagging thing goes(which sucks),unless every Buick owner at next years race wants to "have problems" in qualifying(call it fighting fire with fire on a nuclear scale)then simply put a 5tenths breakout rule in place.That gives everyone a little "tuneup" room while still making it a fun race all the way down the line.

Great race as always by the OK club.

I'd like to say, though, and to make sure I'm understood, I'm not going to mince words, the track SUCKED! Maybe the slower guys didn't notice it but it kicked our ass all weekend. Nothing like seeing the Meankid's twin turbo T trying to come around at 1000 foot. We managed a 9.84 @ a paltry 125MPH in and out of the gas about 5 times. Every time the car changed gears it broke loose. Far cry from the 8.40 we ran last year. We kept trying to slip the clutch enough to get the car down the track but the car just hammered the tires every time it changed gears and launching was a joke. We recently added a Racepack data recorder to the car and looking at the last two runs, it's pretty obvious how terrible the track was. Driveshaft RPM was all over the place.

The starting line looked like it hadn't been scraped in about 5 years. There was little to no traction compund out despite the fact that they supposedly sprayed twice. I asked the track personel about respraying before the finals and was told "We haven't decided yet."

So, we turned the boost WAY down, I think launching at 9 PSI and running at 14 PSI and 9.84 was the best we could do slip sliding all the way down.

Anyways, no fault of the OK club and the whole deal was ran very well despite the terrible track prep. The after race BBQ was 1st class also. Anyone that didn't stay for that missed out on some great BBQ. That needs to become a yearly tradition.

Props to Bronco Johnny for saving his sh!t when it went hard right off the starting line.

We'll be back next year and hopefully the track will spring for a few drums of VHT.

Neal, I had a Jiffy Lube Jacket on with about 5 other layers, lol. Its no big deal, I will catch up with you some other time...errr....run into you, lol. I brought my car down (ttype), but did not run for fear of breaking. Not to mention its a 1 legger with BALD 16" tires. After seeing how the event works, I will definately be racing something next year to help out the Buick guys!!! Hopefully by then the GN will be fixed and running low 12s?? Who knows. Had a great time.

Regal-luvr, I thought the count was up for sandbagging. But, as some of the other guys said, it was less than in past years which is cool. IN MY OPINION, it just makes it no fun. Id rather see 2 12.0 cars racing against the tree and eachother, neck and freaking neck all the way down the track vs somebody either turning their boost up or spraying. A majority of the races where like that, and that is what made this event fun. Im not a huge fan of bracket racing, Im liking the heads up shootout deal. :D

JayC, I was was wondering what the deal was with the Meankids T!! I was wondering why you guys didnt seem to make a "full" pass all weekend? Was it just me or did you guys almost lose it at about 1000ft in the eliminations! I was like whoa ****, hold onto her!! Hopefully next year will be better track wise.

Again, I had a great time. If anyone saw a grey ttype with grey GTAs and Kansas plates, that was me and my father. Shoulda ran the thing, hehe. NEXT YEAR!

Originally posted by stevemon
Rob,
No he hasn't been on our board. That was Thurston Munn from Shawnee. He's a pretty good guy that I've known for a few years. Talked to him in the tech line for 10 minutes before qualifying began. Really sorry for his misfortune but glad that he was OK. It would have been hard to walk away from that if there hadn't been a rollbar in the car.

Shawnee Kansas?????? If so, was this the car that was sponsored by MC RACING? Hope not :(

Well I met probably most of you guys but only saw you for about 2 or 3 seconds. I was the one giving lane choice at the end of the staging lanes.

The race was a blast although I broke. I practiced myself to death on the pro tree for the last few weeks and the tranny finally gave way. Eventually I lost R, 1, and 3. Made a 13.00 pass @ 66 mph during qualifying though in 1st and 2nd only...lost by .1 to the Mustang.

I had a friend drive the 87 however and we got a win for that one!

I happened to be in the tower when the Mustang flipped...he was up against another Mustang. Made me VERY glad to have a roll bar in my car as he was only a low 11 second rig around 115 - 120 mph. Reminds me that it could happen to me pretty easily.

Now that you know me...look for me next year! (hopefully racing)

Kev :)

Originally posted by AdamLX
I think it was pretty even on the sandbagging notion... about the same number from both sides were pretty far off (Think one stang hit the bottle, I guess, and a GN pickup ~16mph/1sec). Blake had a legitimate excuse, hell even tried to get moved up in the ladder to make it fair lol! It sure made for a real close race towards the middle when the score was within 1 or 2.

Either way it was still a lot of fun!
Ya, I was worried that everyone would think I was sandbagging. I went and told the tower, told everyone I knew in the buick club. Told them to pair me with a much faster car but they told me not to worry about it and have fun. I ended up lifting at the 1/8th anyways because of the slippery 8" convertor. I was at 6700 rpm in 3rd gear before the 1/8th!!!! Well, sorry to whomever I raced, I didn't mean for it to end up like that!!!
Lilthumper's elimination pass - think he was sandbagging?
http://www.yerot.com/~aweil/lilthumpernoble1.wmv

Re: Fetch, Boy!

Originally posted by Andrew91GT
JayC - I agree about the track not hooking... my 60' times were consistantly over a tenth off.

Yea, I was really disappointed in the track. No matter how much we slipped the clutch, when the car changed gears the tires spun pretty bad. That's not so bad until you get up to 120 plus then it gets a little scary on 10.5Ws. We adjusted about everything that could be adjusted on the car to get it to bite with no luck. It was pretty much the most frustrating racing experience I have ever had.

That track has never been great but it's never been as bad as it was this weekend. We were consistently in the 1.5-1.6 60 foot times and the car usually goes high 1.teens-low 1.20s at about every track in DFW. We had to slip the clutch a ton just to get it to leave without blowing the tires off.

Originally posted by CPAKCP
Thanks OK Buick club and Steve Monroe for a great event. Made my first 10 second pass - it was great to be around a bunch of Buick racers - people with class!!!

Sorry I didn't win my elim. round, had a sorry launch- no boost - 5 second rule got me - Stang was staged before I was prestaged. Stang got me on that one - but I got lucky and cut a .482 light vs a 1.867 by the Stang. He ran me down @ 142.09 MPH vs my 122.23. Can't wait to find out what his qualifying ETs was - wonder if he sandbaged??

Thanks again OK club!!

I think that was me, I ran a 9.74 @ 142 mph. I ran a 10.07@ 137mph in qualifying off the footbrake. On that run I left off of the tranbrake...part of the reason for the 1.8 reaction time...I pulled up, got on the button, looked at my rpm, looked back up and it was green! There was no way I could just quit though, I got out of the groove at the top of first and just pulled second and aimed her for the traps and stayed in it! Luckily she shot straight after that.

I added 2 degrees of timing for the final too....I was going for the throat even though the car wouldn't 60 ft. worth a damn.

Originally posted by stevemon
It would have been hard to walk away from that if there hadn't been a rollbar in the car.

This is the best I could do with my simple camera. I didn't take any pics up-close after he hauled the car next to the staging lanes where everyone was looking at it.

www.geocities.com/joyof6/FordCrash

Thanks to the OK Club. They really know how to put on an event and dish out the hospitality.

Art

>(Think one stang hit the bottle, I guess, and a GN pickup ~16mph/1sec).

Keyword there being "a", as in a single car, lol. And that one was truly from tuning issues, not deliberate sandbagging. There's just no defense against the sandbagging if an index type thing isn't enforced.

I had to laugh out loud seeing a 9 sec/149-150 mph GN that still gets driven to work a few times a week paired against a blown alcohol, huge tire, pro mod type car in the final run. Hmm, guess which car won, lol?

But oh well, it was a fun day regardless. And nice seeing everyone again :)

TurboTR

Originally posted by CPAKCP
Bronco Johnny - good job!! I just wished you had a faster Buick to race!!

If you look under my link to DFWstangs, there is a video of your race titled alpnoble1.wmv

Thanks to the OK club for putting on a great event. I look forward to this event every year. I had a great time and was able to drive the car back on the trailer:) .

cpack,
Congrats on your new best time. Your car is really starting to hall some ass.

Bronco Johnny,
All kidding aside you have a nice car. I saw that BIG blower. You have a nice set up there. That car hawls some ass. ( Nice job on the shirts )

See Everyone next year.

Later

Originally posted by Andrew91GT
If you look under my link to DFWstangs, there is a video of your race titled alpnoble1.wmv

Andrew91GT can you give me a web site address or link? Can't seem to find it - I'm an old man:D

Thanks

I had a great time, but the track did seem pretty bad. One suggestion would be to have all radial tired cars drive around the water box. By the time I got too race there was a damp trail leading out of the box up to the line. I had people on the side cussin me because I made them backup so I could drive around. I was happy to see the security gaurd keeping most people behind the wall though. It just keeps thing safer. Thanks for providing me with this opportunity to beat a few fords :)

had a good time, even though I was chasing gremlins the whole time. First time for me at a 1/4 track with this combo.

And as far as sandbagging the GN I raced sandbagged over a full second he ran a 10.4 on a 11.5 qualifying. Good thing he slept for 2.46 second at the light to give me the win. LOL