You can type here any text you want

OK to run HV pump without drilling block?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Drewster

Wish I Had A Clone. AKA Andrew Youlio
is it bad to run a HV pump without drilling out the main bearing oil feeds?
anyone had issues of upgrading to a HV oil pump for a "stock" block? maybe premature cam bearing failure?
Andrew

IMO, HV pumps are made for loose engines....ie worn out or "purposefully built loose engines" for the race track only. Obviously, the more clearance the bearings have the more volume of oil it takes to maintain a certain pressure. If you're only wanting higher pressure at high RPM a high pressure by-pass spring is all you need with a stock pump.

i already installed a front cover which had a HV pump in it. I didnt drill out the 2/3 main. I was wondering if it will cause premature cam bearing failure or something of the sort.
A

I have run a HV pump for more than a 100,000 miles in my first GN. It didn't do anything bad to the engine. I dont' run one anymore...I just use the stock stuff with a high pressure by-pass spring. I didn't have the mains drilled in the block either. There are plenty more GN's running around without mains drilled with a HV pump. Personally, I like to see 12-18psi at idle....45psi at 2000 and 60 to 70 at anything above 3500 rpms. No need to have 60psi just cruising down the blvd.

Yes, the HV pump will cause more wear on the timing chain, gears, camshaft thrust surface, front cam bearing and the cam sensor/camshaft gears.

I have run a HV pump for more than a 100,000 miles in my first GN. It didn't do anything bad to the engine. I dont' run one anymore...I just use the stock stuff with a high pressure by-pass spring. I didn't have the mains drilled in the block either. There are plenty more GN's running around without mains drilled with a HV pump. Personally, I like to see 12-18psi at idle....45psi at 2000 and 60 to 70 at anything above 3500 rpms. No need to have 60psi just cruising down the blvd.

Yes, the HV pump will cause more wear on the timing chain, gears, camshaft thrust surface, front cam bearing and the cam sensor/camshaft gears.
I concur with this advice, my last engine run the stock oil pump gears, TA Performance wear plate and ported front cover, block oil galley porting and screw in plugs instead of the cup seals, tight bearings, #1 cam bearing oil hole drilled to .060", not sloted hole and un-grooved bearing, results 25# at idle, 80# at WOT. Engine ran perfect with 10/30 motor oil. IMHO Gene

Take your cover off and do Earlbrowns timing cover mods. He really knows what he's doing and the presure works great. If you don't know about them add an s to the website name and do some looking.

Make sure you know how and where to port the oil pump housing and front cover. The Buick PS Porting Procedure will result in the pump losing it's prime if not correctly done. My scarey thought behind letting the experts do any mods. I did my block myself and used TA's galley screw in plugs, plugs that aren't too long, TA's oil pump shims, gear to cover gasket thickness is important, drilled the mains to increase flow to the front rods, drilled a .060 oiling hole in the OP Idler Gear. (Buick's Stock oiling problem) Good Luck. Gene

Back