You can type here any text you want

Old school Buick Rally wheels?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Little6pack

Does anyone know or have a set of OLD school Chrome Buick Factory 15" rims on a 80's G-body? Just wondering if they fit? I would assume units from the late 60's would clear the disc brakes.

How Old ? If you are talking 70's "Keystone" style rallyes,, then yes they fit. seen it a few times around here.

I'm pretty sure the back space is different. I know we swapped some slicks on GS ralley wheels to my buddies T-type at the track, and they rubbed. I believe on my GS the backspace is 5 inch, my T-type is 3.5 inch. Now the 80's style should work. Phil.

The Buick Chromies that came off the 71 to 74 Boatail rivs.

I want it to look like this photo

Attachments

• 893354a.jpg
    893354a.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 2,096
My first ride was a '75 Riv with what looks like those same rims. My dad had a set of custom 15" rims that he had on a '57, I tried swapping them, but the bolt pattern was larger on the Riv than on the '57. Not sure if '75 was a pattern change, but I know the GN has the same bolt pattern as the older chevys.

HMMMM. I wonder what a set of 17's or 18's would look like based off of that design??

IMO Thatd be sweet on a protouring set up with a nice lip in a 18" on a old Wildcat with a turbo 455:cool:

Buick used those wheels through the '80's (until the rear wheel drives ended). Usually 14" in the eighties.

The Riv's and B/C bodies have a larger bolt pattern.

Not sure if the 15" wheels from the seventies fit.

The Buick Chromies that came off the 71 to 74 Boatail rivs.

Actually I think the boat tail Rivvies had the larger 5 x 5" bolt pattern. What you want would have come on higher optioned late '60s to mid '70s A bodies, as well as '77(?) to '84 LeSabres, or whatever years they made that body style. To my knowledge, the brake clearance issues were with the more common 14" Rallyes on the late '60s A bodies before disc brakes became really prevalant. My '78 Sport Coupe came factory with the 14" Rallyes, so clearly brake clearance was not an issue. I believe someone on V8Buick.com is selling a set of the 15s right now, might head over there and do a search.

Option two, I could give you the number of a guy in Slater, Iowa that will take 14" wheels, cut the centers out, and re-weld them into new 15" shells. The 14" and 15" Rallyes actually all used the same center; only the rims were different. The guy who did mine can also do custom widths and backspacing as needed.

Right now, I've got 3 Rallyes off a '77 LeSabre, and 2 are the reworked ones that he did. He's also happy to buy cores if you have extras laying around like I did. Between my Sport Coupe and years of junkyarding, I had a total of 11 wheels to trade in, so I got a heck of a deal.:wink:

Actually I think the boat tail Rivvies had the larger 5 x 5" bolt pattern. What you want would have come on higher optioned late '60s to mid '70s A bodies, as well as '77(?) to '84 LeSabres, or whatever years they made that body style. To my knowledge, the brake clearance issues were with the more common 14" Rallyes on the late '60s A bodies before disc brakes became really prevalant. My '78 Sport Coupe came factory with the 14" Rallyes, so clearly brake clearance was not an issue. I believe someone on V8Buick.com is selling a set of the 15s right now, might head over there and do a search.

Option two, I could give you the number of a guy in Slater, Iowa that will take 14" wheels, cut the centers out, and re-weld them into new 15" shells. The 14" and 15" Rallyes actually all used the same center; only the rims were different. The guy who did mine can also do custom widths and backspacing as needed.

Right now, I've got 3 Rallyes off a '77 LeSabre, and 2 are the reworked ones that he did. He's also happy to buy cores if you have extras laying around like I did. Between my Sport Coupe and years of junkyarding, I had a total of 11 wheels to trade in, so I got a heck of a deal.:wink:

Well I got the 4 buick rims of CraigsList. The kid delivered them to me & had no idea what they came off but they do say 15 x6" I paid next to nothing for them. ( so no loss as I can sell even or more).. It was so hot out that I did not have a chance to test fit on my Turbo T.

If they fit I am golden and will put them on my turbo t. I think the CHROME will make my car POP. The Aluminum TT wheels are nice but Just don't give the car that extra punch in the looks department. ( yeah yeah I don't care about the weight)
I did some measuring and my current rear tires will NO WAY fit as they are
P275-50 10" tire. On this rim/spacing they will balloon out and hit frame.

I do have a set of P245-60 that are 8.5" tire that I can use as alternate.

Now I can't wait to test fit the bolt pattern

The rims in the pic look like 14s. They have a deeper lip on them than the ones you have.

This picture was posted on the V8 board. Looks like someone found some larger replicas from somewhere. Thread is HERE

attachment.php

DRZ Performance in Oregan restores the old rally wheels. Give Dennis a call. I just got a set of 15x7/15x8 with custom offsets made from him. He does great work at a great price! I am waiting for the BFG Radial TA's to come. The size 235/60/15'shave been back ordered for the past few weeks. When I get them on my 86 Limited, I'll post a few pics

DRZ Performance in Sandy, Oregon at (503) 668-3013 or email drperfomance@netzero.net

Also, check Wheel Vintiques. They are still making the Buick Rally Wheels. Summit Racing carries their line of wheels.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,326
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,313
Little6, do they look like the ones that Marc B posted, or do they have a smooth transition from the center to the lip like this?

Bud%27sBuickRallyWheels.jpg

This one is a 5 x 5" pattern.

DRZ Performance in Oregan restores the old rally wheels. Give Dennis a call. I just got a set of 15x7/15x8 with custom offsets made from him. He does great work at a great price! I am waiting for the BFG Radial TA's to come. The size 235/60/15'shave been back ordered for the past few weeks. When I get them on my 86 Limited, I'll post a few pics

DRZ Performance in Sandy, Oregon at (503) 668-3013 or email drperfomance@netzero.net

Also, check Wheel Vintiques. They are still making the Buick Rally Wheels. Summit Racing carries their line of wheels.

Man those are gonna make YOUR limited POP for sure! Unfortunatly I am selling my Limited and need somthing to spark intrest in buyers. Chrome seems to work on the selling aspect.

If I was able to keep my ride ordering a set from DRZ would be the way to go.

I am losing the selling season and will have to store my ride for yet another 6 months winter only to try selling in SPRING again.

I was afraid of that since you said 15x6. But like you said, you paid next to nothing, so you should be able to flip them and at least break even or get a profit. Keep the faith!

When I get them on my 86 Limited, I'll post a few pics

I'd be interested in what backspace you are using. I've though about Buick rallys on my 87 T since I can never decide on any custom wheels I like. I still have 15 inch wheels left over from the 69 Skylark I had. I'll be running 235's up front and 245's in the rear. The guys on the V8 board have used McWheels in Iowa for custom wheel work.

I'd be interested in what backspace you are using. I've though about Buick rallys on my 87 T since I can never decide on any custom wheels I like. I still have 15 inch wheels left over from the 69 Skylark I had. I'll be running 235's up front and 245's in the rear. The guys on the V8 board have used McWheels in Iowa for custom wheel work.

The rears are 15x8 with 4.25" rear back-spacing. The fronts are 15x7 and I can't remember the back-spacing off hand. I'll measure when I get home. I think I had the fronts made with the same back-spacing as the 86/87 GN Wheels.

Back