You can type here any text you want

On-center info...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

QuickWrench

Don't Read This
Is there a reference book available for on-center blocks and components? The Buick Power Source manual has been a wonderful reference, but focuses almost entirely on off-center conponents.

What I'm looking for is a reference for different block castings. Which are strongest, which have cross-bolted main caps, which to stay away from, what power levels each will support, etc.

I'm also looking for the same basic info on BMS cranks. Are the 008 forgings the best? What will a finished unit hold up to?

...and the same info on S2 heads. Are any of them junk? Any of them crack-prone? Any gems?

In general, I'm trying to get the skinny on all things on-center. Thanks in advance!

No comprehensive written reference is available, I'm afraid. The best you'll do is reading the threads on here and earlier ones at the Stage forum at www.turbobuicks.com . You may look for "The Buick Stage II V6 Racing Engine" by Dave Emanuel; you can probably still order it from Barnes & Noble or Amazon. It is a short book (more like an extended article) that covers S2 on-center circle track buildups by Ruggles, and dates from 1987, so it has some on-center information.

I'll take a stab at some general info for you; there are others who post on here who know more.

In general, the blocks improved with time. The early on-centers (like mine) were not cross bolted. Later blocks got cross bolts and minor revisions like the BBC rear main seal. Condition (bore size, wall thickness, main bores, etc.) is more important than casting/machining variations, IMO.

Cranks...IMO any forging or billet in good condition will be fine. There are LOTS of repaired forged cranks out there so look closely.

The S2 head castings were offered in iron and aluminum; I don't know anybody running the irons. The aluminum heads also underwent revisions as production continued. Later castings had slightly raised intake ports and a more pronounced quench ridge between the valves in the chamber. Other major differences in heads will be whether they still have the rocker shaft towers or whether they've been milled off to use the 3 shaft Jesel rocker setup. Your rockers have to match the heads, obviously.

Kendall, you're in Orange Park? Small world!!! I lived on the West Side, just off Blanding Blvd. from '99 - '00. I'm wondering...are you the guy with the white Limited I remember seeing hanging out in the plaza near the speed shop?

Thanks for the info. Anyone else?

Originally posted by QuickWrench
Kendall, you're in Orange Park? Small world!!! I lived on the West Side, just off Blanding Blvd. from '99 - '00. I'm wondering...are you the guy with the white Limited I remember seeing hanging out in the plaza near the speed shop?

Thanks for the info. Anyone else?

Ahh, the Buick guys are like one big incestuous family...or is that just the Southerners in general? :D The white T would've been Barry Montgomery's car..he just sold it and has basically gotten out of the turbo cars. I hang out on the odd Saturday night myself but lately I've been a garage recluse while I try to get the T-type together.

Back