You can type here any text you want

On-center Stage II with threaded plugs above freeze plugs anybody seen it before?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WHITE T

Baer Brake Systems
Guys,

I have an old Busch North motor that has been sitting around for awhile. I decided to uncover it and look at it and noticed these threaded plugs above the freeze plugs. My first thought is panic :) I have never seen this before?? Anybody run into this before?

I plan to take the block apart and check it out... just wanted some input from anybody that ran into this before??

If so did you use the block?

Attachments

• stage II.jpg
    stage II.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 322
  • stage II 2.jpg
    stage II 2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 315
More than likely it's where the water jackets were tapped into directly. You see all kinds of weird stuff like this on old Busch motors. I had an on-center a few years back that had a fitting tapped into the.side of the block similar to this. I never ran it but I did sell it to Chris Lyons and he ended up going low 8 with it. Mike would more than likely know what exactlh they were used for. Either way it's most likely nothing to worry about.

I have seen several variations on this, sometimes with the heads tapped, sometimes the side of the block. Different builders tried different methods of routing coolant, especially the ones that were trying to use an intake that had lousy water port accomodation (like the Edelbrock tunnel rams).

Thx guys! :)

Hey Kendall!! It has been awhile, hope all is well!

My plan (when I get to looking at this block again) will be to pull the plugs and look to see if it was drilled. If not (crossing fingers) I will measure the bores, and get it sonic checked.

I will keep you all updated :)

Thx again guys!

I talked to Neal (750hpv6) a few weeks ago and he was telling me about a block he once had that had something similar (if I remember correctly) and they actually drilled a hole in the block, then a hole between the cylinders for coolant flow, since these blocks are siamesed. Mike or Neal will correct me if I am wrong, but that is what I remember from some discussions sitting in Neals garage. Pull one of those plugs, if it won't risk damage and see if there is a hole running between.

Rick, yeah, I took a pretty long hiatus from doing anything car related other than fixing the daily drivers. :) Glad to see you're still at it! Let me know if I can help in any way..

Back