Open vs enclosed trailers

Dennis I could not agree more.:cool: I have done the enclosed and you are correct on all points.I am going to try the open and see how I like ito_O .For myself I think the open will do everything I want to do at a cheaper cost and more convenient:)

Kevin

What would you look for in a used trailer? What tends to break on them (open and closed versions)?

GNRick said:
What would you look for in a used trailer? What tends to break on them (open and closed versions)?

I would look at the tires and suspension first. Are the tires New, or older? Do the tires have any odd wear pattern? Are any of the suspension or the mounting points cracked or broken? Then on to the frame, looking for cracks and bent parts. The hitch should also be in good condition. Are the ramps and the floor in good condition? Does any of these components look abused? Do the brakes function? Are the pads/ shoes and discs/drums in good condition? Does it have breakaway and is it functional? Overall condition, is the paint good? Is it rusty or very corroded?
Is the manufactures tag attached? Is it in good condition? Will it haul the cargo you intend to haul? Weight and bulk.
Others may add more

GNRick said:
Thanks TexasT

Funny thing about trailers, people think because it can get onto it, the trailer will be able to haul it. I'm sure we have all seen someone who has over loaded a trailer with sand , cinder blocks, or old shingles and is dealing with a flat tire. This is also hard on the rest of the trailer, just the tire let's go first which is good as breaking a frame or hitch would be way worse.

I would also inspect wiring and lights,many trailers used scotch locks for wiring and we all know what they do eventually.