Open vs enclosed trailers

I had an open trailer for years when I had my Chevelle, towed all around the country going to Street Machine Nationals shows and Super Chevy events. Towed it with a lowly 78 GMC half ton pickup with a 350 four barrel and turbo 350 trans and 3.40 open rear! Longest tow was from CT to DuQuoin Illinois. Biggest challenge was going on I-80 thru the Poconos but always made it. No sway bars for the trailer and never had an issue except for a couple blown tires over the 10 years I owned it.

I would think that if I had an enclosed trailer I would just keep it. The open trailer worked fine for me but constant worry about damage to car, gawkers looking at the car when on the road and security are the cons. Pros for open is obviously better mileage and easier to back up as it is easier to see.

Sold my trailer about 16 years ago for about $200 less than what I paid for it. I wouldn't mind having it now for a quick run up to Lebanon Valley Dragway. Finally got a truck with some balls to it but nothing to tow.:)

I can't imagine going back to an open trailer after stepping up to an enclosed(sez the guy who has each). For a few more dollars at the pump the added security of the enclosed out weighs any thing an open trailer cam do. Though storage of it is a pain it acts as added enclosed place for me to keep things out of the weather. I like the simpleness of the open but am always worried when we stop anywhere that things will grow legs. With the enclosed if I can park where I can see the side/rear doors while we eat and such I just feel better. Kinda the same reason we have a Suburban instead of a pickup.

I possibly may be selling or trading my 18' aluminum featherlite trailer for a enclosed trailer,I'm still kicking around the idea

I possibly may be selling or trading my 18' aluminum featherlite trailer for a enclosed trailer,I'm still kicking around the idea

I am now looking for an aluminum open if you still have let me know.

Kevin

My thoughts....having towed over 300 Turbo Regals over the years....

Open trailer is the easiest and lightest way to go. I gone through two open trailers, easier to keep track of the car because if it comes lose in a enclosed trailer you won't know it until its too late. Not to mention I can hook up a GN on a open trailer far quicker than anyone can do it in an enclosed trailer....not to mention trying to get out the door in a car in an enclosed trailer...

Easier to park easier to see and cheaper to buy. I guess if you used it very limited and had a 50 grand show car enclosed would be the way to go but in the count I have done includes 8 real GNXs....

Open trailer mine weights under 1,400 lbs, with 4 wheel brakes cost under two grand new. I think mine is a 15 or 16 foot long. It's the way to go if you do a lot of trailering.

Looking back had I known I was going to do so much trailering I would have stepped up and spent the money for an aluminum open trailer. . Still the first trailer lasted about 8-9 years.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I can't imagine going back to an open trailer after stepping up to an enclosed(sez the guy who has each). For a few more dollars at the pump the added security of the enclosed out weighs any thing an open trailer cam do.
I agree 100% on this. I had two open trailers in the past and two enclosed ones (Still have one today) and will never go back to an open one again.
and:
Kinda the same reason we have a Suburban instead of a pickup.

Mmmm...no. I'm not sure why you say that...I've towed my trailer everywhere, from Canada to Florida, the northeast states, and never had a problem (which would've been caused by not having a Suburban). Also, there must be a reason why the majority of people who tow trailers do it with pickup trucks...There's nothing wrong with Suburbans...just that I think that pickups are more conveinient.
Claude.

I am thinking of an open alum for all the reasons stated.Does anyone know of a good dealers close to Buffalo or Detroito_O

Kevin

Don't blame you for the open decision. For me though, at the track: generator and toolbox. Garage in the off season.

When my daughter raced jrs the trailer was a garage,storage facility,and shade in the hot weather.I am not racing anymore in July and Aug unless the weather is coolo_O .I don't like sitting around at the track all day in 100* weather waiting for them to clean the track from those pro mod hand grenades or pipe racks;) .As the cost to race goes up and up I am just happy to go less but enjoy it more.We use to race 12 to 16 times a summer,now I am thinking 6 maybe 8.If they call for bad weather I am staying home,sitting in the rain at a race track is not my idea of a fun day.:rolleyes:I like the enclosed but the open just seems a more economical way today,and a Buick hanging on the back looks cool:cool:

Kevin

Looks nice and low......the only thing I would check is the height of the fenders from the floor. If they are too tall you wont be able to open the door after you get the car on the trailer.

Bryan

Looks nice and low......the only thing I would check is the height of the fenders from the floor. If they are too tall you wont be able to open the door after you get the car on the trailer.

Bryan

Thanks Bryan,the fenders actually lift off with a quick pin. This thing is loaded,I even got the alum rims:cool:

Thanks Bryan,the fenders actually lift off with a quick pin. This thing is loaded,I even got the alum rims:cool:
Cool, I saw that they stated they were removable, didn't know that they were quick release...I guess they knew there would be issues and thought ahead.

Bryan

Cool, I saw that they stated they were removable, didn't know that they were quick release...I guess they knew there would be issues and thought ahead.

Bryan

Ya I think it is one of the nicest open trailers on the market.:D I am real excited to get the buick on the back and get to the track to play;) I have had the enclosed for a few years and I think this is going to be easier and cheaper to own.I will post pics of the Buick on it when I finally get it home:cool:

My thoughts on the subject having hauled oveer 300 differnt 1986-1987 Turbo regals. I am on my second open trailer ideally for distance and ease of hauling and sight for manevuring you can;t beat an open trailer. I think mine is a 16 foot weights maybe 1,500 lbs empty dual axle with brakes....used two different 2500 HD trucks with 8.1 gas engines allison transmissions now buying mostly dead ones I use a 05 Tahoe with trailer package.

However if you use it to strictly tow your pride and joy and are young and agile and small and thin enclosed trailer is probably what you would prefer. Open trailer you can get it tied down in a matter of minutes with ease enclosed trailer
space is tight plus if it breaks lose inside your trailer you will never know it until its way too late!

Not to mentioned the vast cost differencc between enclosed and open my open trailers cost about $1995 each same brand both times. Plus I can lift the nose of the trailer and hook it up to my truck one person operation.

Enclosed trailer you gotta stay a lot more focused when hauling. Plus the value takes a real hit when you go to sell it. A good used open trailer with 4 wheel brakes will always be worth $800 to a grand.

My son has a huge enclosed trailer I used it once and it was a white knuckle experience for me using it.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

On a side note I got a lot of thumbs up with the Turbo regals that others have seen when I used my open trailer.....