You can type here any text you want

Opinions need and experience as I convert to IC from HA

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Toby_Goodmk

Test Fit officianto
Hey guys,

I have studied the hot air car the turbo, all the tuning and got pretty damn good at it. I recently gave up because of availability of parts, and the sheer fact that when it does break getting parts is near to impossible, and I am no longer enjoying the car...it doesn't get me from point A to B.

I have many of the items needed to convert already. I am needing to source things like down pipe, IC, CAI, Throttle body, plenum, internal or external wastegate? and benefits and cons of each. I have a billet 6262 that I plan on using as the turbo which was built for the HA car, and plan on using a new compressor cover.

So I am looking for a bit of experience with what would be the best things to do to get me up and running again.

You will see in my sig, that I have converted everything over and ready to go to 87 style, just hardware needs changed.

The most "difficult" part of this conversion is changing the engine harness. If you remove the pass side plastic inner fender like we have done would be one way to accomplish this task.

The turbo drain-back can be handled by returning oil to the pan, or drill and tap the block for a fitting when you have the intake removed. Just tape off the valley to keep debris from going into the engine,

An excellent source for the parts you need is the Parts Forums here, and I do know you are a very resourceful person in obtaining parts! :)

Thanks Nick. I have the provision for the turbo drain back since I chose to source a virgin 109 with my build. I also have an access panel for the wiring harness I made to accompany harness changes. Maybe it seems I saw a swap in my future :)

I did a Hot Air to IC conversion on my 85. It was really pretty straight forward. As Nick said, the hardest part is the wiring harness. I had the AC box out of the car so it wasn't so bad for me, but with it in place it is a PITA.

Since mine was a 85 I had a powermaster. With the 84 you probably have a HydroBoost setup that you will need adapt or change to a vac setup.

It's the little things that are the most frustrating. Having all the right brackets and bolts; like having the long bolt that goes through the alternator ear and the tensioner or the small bracket that connects to the header to brace the ac compressor.

When it's done it is great though.

Nick should be an expert in this for sure. I know they are working on converting one now.

Brent, :) How are you going about converting your power steering pump over? I have heard that the pump needs to be for an 87 as it spins the opposite direction to the 84...?

I did a Hot Air to IC conversion on my 85. It was really pretty straight forward. As Nick said, the hardest part is the wiring harness. I had the AC box out of the car so it wasn't so bad for me, but with it in place it is a PITA.

Since mine was a 85 I had a powermaster. With the 84 you probably have a HydroBoost setup that you will need adapt or change to a vac setup.

It's the little things that are the most frustrating. Having all the right brackets and bolts; like having the long bolt that goes through the alternator ear and the tensioner or the small bracket that connects to the header to brace the ac compressor.

When it's done it is great though.

Thanks on the advice. I was able to source the coil pack flat bracket, the main accessory bracket, the belt tensioner, another alternator bracket ( guess the Y bracket is what I would call it with the long bolt you mention) as well as an AC compressor, top plate, heater core, evaporator, passenger header. I already have all the electrical converted and have an intake. So things like intercooler, TB, plenum, DP, harness will get me right where I need to be.

Brent, :) How are you going about converting your power steering pump over? I have heard that the pump needs to be for an 87 as it spins the opposite direction to the 84...?

Ask nick, no idea....

I believe the driverside plastic inner fender will be needed if you want the stock appearance of the Power steering reservoir being mounted on it. I have a harness race it's the hard plastic wire harness channel that wraps around the dr side onto the valve covers. If you get a harness most times people will sell it with it on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the driverside plastic inner fender will be needed if you want the stock appearance of the Power steering reservoir being mounted on it. I have a harness race it's the hard plastic wire harness channel that wraps around the dr side onto the valve covers. If you get a harness most times people will sell it with it on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is true. Here is a pic of my 85 when it was converted over. You can see the front part of the PS bracket doesn't quite line up.

PICT0002.JPG

Well one thing is for sure that entire feed fuel line needs to be changed as the fuel filter location changed in 86 to the chassis where as the HA has it mounted in the engine compartment on the side of the timing cover...

you basically will need everything on the front of the motor and on top of the motor... I also don't know if the trans kick down cable or the gas pedal cable is the same..

Brent you giving up on the HA set-up?

Back