You can type here any text you want

Opinions on roller cam

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

lnkncontiverto

Feel my Pacifists-of-Fury
Experts,
I've got the engine out for a headgasket repair and I am considering spending some money on a roller cam. I'm curious on the difficulty of install and which cam spec/brand is right for me.

Before the HG blew, the engine was untouched @ 35k miles. My goal is to run 11.5 on alky. This is going to be a street car the vast majority of the time. I picked up a set of refreshed ported iron heads. I don't plan on going crazy on the cam, something very streetable, nice idle. I had hoped to run on the stock TQ converter and a TE-44/TA-49 for a while until cash is more abundant. This is a full weight car, and I plan on tuning to run knock free.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated :biggrin:

Down into the 10's is pretty easy on a stock cam / unopened long block with unported heads.

If it were me, I'd put the good heads on and call it good. :wink:

Personally; I like roller cams. Others say it’s an unnecessary expense.

It’s proven on this board every day that anything can be ruined.

I know I can get an 11.5 without the cam; however, I don't want to have to worry about wiping a lobe on a flat tappet, and I want to take advantage of the extra flow from my ported heads. If I could be confident that a flat tappet would be relatively maintenance free, I would go that route, but I really don't plan on pulling the engine anytime soon after I get it all buttoned up.

if money is not a huge issue it would be silly not to with the money you spent on ported heads. Ported heads aren't gonna gain a lot without a cam, and vice versa. Just because you can go 11.5s without them doesn't mean its not a hell of a lot easier to do it with them;)

Id do the cam. A 206@114 will kick ass with ported heads and a te44. It will spool good and easily trap 120mph with 25+psi.

Back