You can type here any text you want

Opinions on TA61

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1BADDAM

Venomous Snake Handler
Have an opportunity to get a slightly used one for a good price. Anyone running one or another similar 60 series on a TTA ? Plan on having the stock D5 converter in for a while, but once the tranny gets redone plan on going with a 3000-3200 stall. Don't mind a little lag for now, just want to know if the lag is real bad.;) Also planning on porting the heads as well. Open to any comments, suggestions. Thanks

I am looking forward to hearing of your results with the 61. That is the one I have been looking at for my TTA.

Mark,

Well it should be here by the end of the week, I'll P.M. you and let you know. I plan on getting to the track by end of the month. After doing some research, it seemed like the best turbo for my goals. I know a lot have had success with the PTE 51 using the stock converter or a higher stall, and according to J. Craig there is a little more lag with the 61, but nothing your gonna feel via seat of the pants using the D5 vs. the 51.

I've just about been talked into a 49, because of the lag difference in it and the 61. It will be interesting to see what kind of lag that 61 has.

Please let us know. I may be interested in a 66 with a 3000 stall byt the end of the summer. If the lag isn't to bad on the 61 with the D5 it shouldn't be a problem for a 66 with a 3000 stall.

Well I got the TA61 on tonight. Did a little break in time, then started bringing the boost up. It definetely has some lag compared to the stocker, not that bad though. At 19#'s it felt like it pulled a lot harder than the stocker did at the same boost level. Should pull REAL hard past 22#'s. :D I'll get some #'s soon.

At 21lbs of boost..both the stocker and a ferris wheel will feel the same...I did a back to back comparison of my stocker and the PT51 and both ran the same numbers at the same boost numbers.

As a matter of fact I also did an injector test the same way..both yielded the same et..difference is when you get a bigger turbo to run higher boost numbers..see my stock turbo maxed at 21 lbs on high gear..thats all the boost I could muster out of it..running an extra 4 lbs yielded an extra 6-8 mph..make sense..

Your stock heads and cam can only flow so much..trying to build boost numbers past the 25 mark is touchy on a stock motor and have it live..and the bigger turbo lag is going to be a problem at the track with spoolup.Car will probably slow down becuase of a poor 330.

I think the best turbo's for a stock/slightly modded 3.8 is the TE44 or the PT51..these are proven...Next move is a real turbo..but then drivability will suffer..like a TE45 or TE63 plus..

Until you get your car running low 12's on the stocker,dont waste money on a turbo. Throwing mods on these cars has to be monitored else you'll end up with a 13-14 second turd that you'll be pissed at..Do one mod and back to the track..follow your mods with real data..

Congrats on the turbo..at anything under 21 lbs..you will have gained nothing in performance.Even tho seat of the pants wants to feel better..this is of course assumming there wasnt a problem with the stock turbo.

Originally posted by Razor
see my stock turbo maxed at 21 lbs on high gear..thats all the boost I could muster out of it..

Running a modified stock wastegate ?

Until you get your car running low 12's on the stocker,dont waste money on a turbo.[/QUOTE]

With 113+ mph traps, stock turbo has a lot more left in it ? Since
when does E.T. reflect absolute HP.

Nah..running the stock waste gate..I could get 23-24 lbs in first and second and then down to 21 on high gear.

MPH was maxed at 112 on my car.I guess running an aftermarket waste gate probably would have netted an additional 1-2 lbs but the flow is not there to support higher MPH which is HP.

I ran a string of 12.1's with a best of 12.08 on the stock turbo at around 110-112 mph.60 foots in the 1.6 range on Nitto's.

I think the fastest anyone mph wise has run on a stock turbo is about 116.That was Mike S. I tried and couldnt..could be Florida weather ? Would have been nice to have 50 degree temps to max it out...

I dunno..I could never hit 113 on my stock turbo.I tried..I did hit 112.5 once..but not consistent.

This is my own personal experience..with what I know today..probably could have gotten a little more out of it..but no comparison to the top end charge of the PT51..The 51 will continue to pull to 150 plus..the stocker ran out of steam at 120..plenty of vettes pulled away from me ..that was then..not anymore.

Yep a 51..no problems so far and its been almost a year.

Someone a couple months ago had told me that Precision on the early 51's used a wheel that wasnt up to snuff..and that Precision had corrected this problem. Some have had problems with the 51..but I have yet to hear any new ones going bad.

I also think that EGT play a major role..if you lean it out and cook 1800 degrees..I dont think there is a wheel that will handle that too long. Kinda the reason it is good to know egt's..And I will tell ya ..when you start detonating..those EGT's spike up pretty quick.

If your spook'd on the 51..get a TE44..but dont waste your time with a TA49..unless you get it for a super deal..but to pay 650-700 bucks..51 or 44..you will still need a converter to really make these two work..but a modded 12 inch converter wont run too much dough....

Which injectors would you suggest with the 51? I am assuming the stockers must go.
Also are you running sub-frame connectors?

MSD 50's and yes to the SFC'c... actually first mod on the car was the SFC and a THDP.

Stock injectors are maxed out at about 110 trap speed..you can run a car probably well over 120 trap with static injectors..but not a good idea.

And the fuel pump must also be replaced..

Originally posted by Razor
If your spook'd on the 51..get a TE44..but dont waste your time with a TA49..unless you get it for a super deal

????

49/44 are essentially the same turbo. Ones got the inlet bell, the other the machined housing. Same compressor/tubine wheels.

Thank you

Got it looks good, not sure what people would like on a blanket i will be working on it thank you Ed

Hey Frank..dunno bout the wheels in the 44 and 49..but my simple research has yielded different results..heres a snipet out of the Precision Turbo catalog..I have had a 44 and a 51 in my hands and the 51 exhuast turbine wheel is way larger.

http://www.precisionte.com/cgi-loca...search_request_button=YES&keywords=buickturbo

Apparantly there is a 40 hp difference between the two..even the injector ratings..like 36 for a 49 and 42.5 for a 44..the housing itself compressor wise is also larger..but hey..what do I know..I know the 49 can get a car into mid 11 sec territory..thats why its one step above stock.the TE44 and PT51 are two steps..I dunno how the TA/TE60-61 would compare.

TE62 and above are large shaft turbo's..like the TE45..these will have huge lag and require converter to make'm work.

For a car that traps 115-117 a 49 will work.I guess the math is 530 hp less the 20 percent loss..424.. the 44/51 at 580 will get ya 464..assuming proper tuning and boost levels..just airflow rite.

I know that my 51 at 25lbs is maxed out..since its rated at 28 lbs..minus IC losses..25 is it.My MAT temp sensor in my intake tells no lie.But this is another story..

:D

Just a little more fuel for thought, my very lightly modded car with stock turbo runs 113 all the time.I have run as high as 26 lbs through the traps but the car did not run any faster than what it does at 21 lbs.I think its just maxed out CFM wise, the extra boost doesn't help.I have run 12.3's at anywhere from 107-113.3mph. I have been fighting tranny problems for a year, getting it done by PTS now so this shouldn't be a problem anymore.
Matt
TTA 1294

Back