You can type here any text you want

Opinions on TA61

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Damn this thread has me thinking, my stock turbo is shot, I'm rebuilding the motor soon, I got a KILLER deal on a TE60...was I foolish for getting it? I really only wanted high 11's but I want to be quick as possible on pump gas. I got the turbo pretty cheap, I have to dump the blue tops now and get 50's.

Did I go with too big of a turbo for what I want? the cam is being replaced and the heads are being ported a bit...

Yer problem is the word pump gas.

If your talking 93 octane..good luck. see the octane requirement for high 11's is perty stout. And porting your heads and getting a cam compound the problem. You'll make more power at less boost since the motor has become more efficient at flowing air..problem is this efficiency also comes at a price.

The 60 will get ya high 11's..the 93 octane by itself..well..close..unless there is a huge intercooler..dont think so..its only a 3.8..

Back to the injector deal..how much HP do ya think you can make on 28 lb injectors..do the math..and you'll know.

Mine were maxed out at the 12.50 110 mph range. You can run them static and get over 120 mph..but thats to me is playing russian roulette.

Ya gots a bunch more home work to do..

Cheers

the thing is I want to run decent times on pump gas, I don't care for race gas because well my car is a "street" car. Sure you run GREAT times on race gas but that doesn't mean **** to me if it's a street car...running race gas doesn't tell you what you run in normal street trim...

Hell I'll be happy with low 12's on pump gas...

I've never had the stock turbo so I cannot compare. Mine is a stage III turbonetics 60-1(.63) p trim wheel. The combination of 868's and a crappy replacement ac pump spelled disaster for my hg when i hit 28 psi(all hell broke loose).

Now with 50's and a 340 it is even better(as far as drivability) the 868's ran too rich down low and too lean up top. It would stutter and cover the bumper with soot.

I ran the 12.7 in my sig at 18psi with a spike to 20 before leveling back off at 18. That was with 55 psi of FP and 3 gallons of xylene mixed with a 1/4 tank of 94 and $15.00 of 112. Hell of a mixture but no knock at all. That was with a 2.15 60' on yokohama strret tires.

The only thing i still cant understand is. I get 18 psi through the closed exhaust when i open the e-cutout it spools very quickly(a lot better than with the cutout closed) and i see 26 psi on the same setting. I'm afraid to see if that is the max psi as soon as it starts getting up there i let out. So far i've turned the rod 8 revolutions and have seen the boost with the cutout closed go from 22 psi to 18, but with it open it still hits the mid 20's.

Chime in Julio PLEASE :)

Wow talk bout a little mess. First with the cutout open you will get more boost since the exhuast is less restricted and the turbine wheel can spin easier and make more boost.

The 55lbs static fuel pressure tells me your chip settings are off.Plus at 55 you pump has to work extra hard since its going over 75..55+20 lbs =..

My car static is 40 lbs.fwiw.

Get that chip corrected, else you'll be smokin that motor.You can lean them out, but under controlled conditions.

Now..the chip is programmed to pull boost out in 3rd and 4th.First and second are mechanical adjustments.

Now if your car is over boosting then you have to look at your WG diaphram and hoses from the compressor to it.

Run a hose straight from the compressor to the WG.This will bring your boost to the lowest setting..Making the rod longer and running the hose should let you go down to 10-12 lbs.

Triple check that area of the turbo. You are using the factory VC selenoid rite..

What chip are you using with the 50's. I cant remember if you had a translator/extender.

Can you refresh what scan tool your using

TTYL

Well made it out to the track, the track sucked as it rained here the night before. Nonetheless, 60's sucked, 2.3's, car is definetly slower to the 1/8 with the larger turbo, as predicted. Made 4 passes, 13.0's all of them, with 21# trapped 114, with 24# it went 115.36, getting out of it at the end, saw some knock. Next time I'll have the converter in and some tires on and tune, tune, tune.;)

Currently I'm running the extender with no problems. It's quite strange. I can hold it open and never see 20 psi going through the exhaust I open the cutout and it goes mad. Still gotta weld in the sfc's, but overall with the 340/50's,and extender it's running quite well.

It amazes me just how bad it ran in it's old configuration. Just wanted some ideas on why it overboosts with the cutout open. My fp is now at 45 psi line off(extender requirements). Don't have drivability probs. I do notice that it spools a lot quick with the cutout open as opposed to closed. But I think I can attribute that to the stock downpipe on a 60 wheel and the stock converter.....

Pete

Pete,
You will make more boost with a free flowing exhuast than without. My car picks up 4-5 lbs cutout open vs closed.Nothing else changed.

Its just how it is..kinda two different tunes..ya tune the car with the exhuast closed..get that rite..go to the track..uncap it..way out of tune again.

I have an electric cutout..it makes this procedure easier.

HTH

Julio

I also have an e-cutout. But mine gains me quite a few more pounds with it open than yours. Again I attribute that to the crimped and smashed stock dp and the 60-1. With the e-cutout closed it is laggier than an old lady running the 100 yard dash. With it open it feels like my buddies car did with the ta-49.

I think I'm gonna forgo your advice on tuning it with the cutout closed. I'm gonna tune it open at 18-20 psi on 94, The only thing that'll happen when I close it and leave it in the same trim is it'll run rich. Nothing a few knobs of the translator can't cure. I just thought I was the only one that saw more boost with the cutout open than closed. My buddy opens his and sees not one psi of difference. I think that is because of his atr stock size dp. Looks ten times better than the stocker.

Right now I'm running 21 psi on 93/94 with the cutout closed and the lowest my o2's have been is 726mv. Not even the hint of knock coming on at those levels. The 50's and 340 seemed like a cure all for my car. Again with it open the 21 psi closed becomes 28psi and I'm scared to push it there. It spikes to 28 then I let out. The hg replacement wasn't that bad, but I'm in no mood to do it again so soon.

I was out on disability from work for a while(keeping my job was a stress point). Now that I',m back(3 weeks) I've worked 76 hrs. the 1st, 87 hrs. the 2nd, and this week I can't count that high(only to 21 if I'm naked, O.K. 20 1/2).

I must of turned the rod about 13 revolutions and haven't seen but a couple pounds decrease in boost. I'm gonna throw it on a local dyno and see just what the 60-1 can push with some 116 and a little tweaking of the extender. I'm looking to be banging on your back door Julio!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete

sounds like a wastegate that's not working well.

Your exhaust back pressure is keeping your boost down
when your cutout is closed.

Your wastegate hole in the turbo may be too small to control the
turbo when the cutout is open. Or the flapper arm might be sticking.

In general your boost should not rise that much....

Bob

I'm either going to look for an external gate or get a stocker and a bleeder setup to tune boost. I really do hate having to pull over pop the hood and adj. boost. As of right now I got the bestwastegate going. If I just crack the e-cutout a little it pegs to 19 psi. A little more it goes to 22, anymore than that it goes to the high 20's that's a no-no on 93.

Bob great job with the reburn on my extender. Doesn't run rich down low(like the 868's did).

Back