Opinions on using a little race fuel with Alky?

Yeah I really had no reason to change pumps other than mine being so old and I had my logs go a little leaner from testing at your house to testing here a month later. The temp was cooler here but guy's say not enough to make that much difference. Just wanted to cover my bases before the track. I'll put the old pump back on and do a fuel pressure test. If all checks out I'm going to clean up the spikes and dips with VE adjustments here on the street and go for it.

The motors coming out this winter so I'm to the point where I'm willing to see what happens. I started the car last night to move it to the lift and I'm hearing a very light tink sound coming from what seems the front of the motor. I pulled the belt and started it to see if it was a pulley or something and it was still there. Kind of came and went then after I put the belt back on and messed with it for a while it went away. Checked crank sensor etc and all good. Weird.

If I missed something I'll find it Sunday after one pass and then get to spectate the rest of the day with my luck.:D

Looks like there are some E85 stations just outside of where you live Brett.
Otherwise turn timing down a little and go the front mount route. The Fm will help spool and constantly cool the air charge. Your still in pump gas land with 20psi.

The only E85 I can get is 13 miles north of town. The one we had in town is gone and the other one 20 miles south is gone too. They still show up on the E85 map for some reason. Believe me I researched it.

I have never tried to run this motor any lower than 5 on alky. It's set at 6 now. I will pull a little timing out of it this weekend and see what happens. I'm not sure this .5 KR is real. I was driving down the interstate at 65 and my SM blipped .5 while cruising? Why I don't know.

. . . . I'm not sure this .5 KR is real. I was driving down the interstate at 65 and my SM blipped .5 while cruising? Why I don't know.
I have had my share of problems and would not assume it's false as my experience was similar.

The SM would show constant blips of KR cruising @65 anytime the load increased (very slight inclimb). It's been a while so I can't remember much more than that, or what i did. . . . . .

All I could think about at the time was EGR but that was disabled in the chip and ports blocked off.

Last edited:
The motors coming out this winter so I'm to the point where I'm willing to see what happens.
if you have 2 fuel pumps on the car and an 80lb injector,just turn off the alky and put race gas in the car and retune.now you don't have to take any chances on a 9 year old pump that your not sure if its giving you 80 psi or 130psi of meth.if you mix race gas with alky your killing the sensors anyway.

Same here no EGR.

I'm looking back through the log file I posted above and here's what I see right before the .5 KR

At 5200 rpm I'm at 19.1 timing then it climbs to 19.4, 100 rpm's later I get KR blip. Timing stays at 19.4 until 5500 rpm and hits 19.8.

Right before the blip my AFR goes from 10.5 to 11.04 then dives to 10.3 right when I get KR. I'm assuming the previous events of 10.5 to 11.04 caused the KR.

Here's the log I'm looking at.

Attachments

• quick runs.025.dat
    92 KB · Views: 37
if you have 2 fuel pumps on the car and an 80lb injector,just turn off the alky and put race gas in the car and retune.now you don't have to take any chances on a 9 year old pump that your not sure if its giving you 80 psi or 130psi of meth.if you mix race gas with alky your killing the sensors anyway.

Not sure what you mean by 2 fuel pumps? I have a single Reds Xp. Or are you meaning the Reds pump + Alky pump= 2

So if I run a mix of race fuel at the track with alky there's no point in logging because the sensors will mis-read?

When you say run race fuel are we talking 50% pump and 50% 110 race fuel or just 100% race fuel?

Don't use any leaded fuel with your setup. You're running closed loop on that wideband, and the lead will mess it up. If the wideband shits and reports low voltage, your closed loop control will pull fuel.

Use unleaded race gas with your alky if you want. No worries there.

I know some guys say they can run a whole season on leaded race fuel and the wideband never has a problem, but I'm one of those guys that cant run more than 10 minutes on leaded fuel before both the narrow band and the wideband take a shit.

Good advice, I'll make sure I get the right fuel. I'm getting a 50 gallon drum tonight.

Well I got the pump to run. I jumped the harness at the map sensor supplying 12 volts to the pump. It fired right off and now works with the test button.

I may have found the cause to my slight KR as well. When I jumped the pump with my head under the hood I noticed I'm leaking at the alky nozzle. I'd of never found that any other way. I'll get that sealed up and we'll see what happens. It's the little shit like this that'll get you.

Not sure what you mean by 2 fuel pumps? I have a single Reds Xp.
2 intank pumps,red makes a double pumper.you can do 1 intank and the alky pump like you have if the pumps are healthy and the tune is right there is more than enough fuel

Well I didn't get any logging in tonight but I did learn something.

I went out to the shop and started to work on the alky leak at the up pipe. After talking to Julio about my leak he suggested blue locktite on the thread fittings. I took the feed line fitting off and the smaller fitting it screws on to apart and cleaned them. That's where it was dripping. Re-installed them with the loctite and hit the pump 12 volts while watching. No more leak there but it started leaking at the fitting that mounts it all to the up pipe. So I pulled the up pipe and took that all apart and sealed it up too. Put it all back on the car and no more leaks.

The pump changed sound, it actually loads it now. I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't seal these fittings better when I put the motor back in but I decided to share this info in case someone else made the same mistake I made.

I don't know what effect this leak really had on the performance of my alky system but my take on it would have to be a LOT. Instead of atomizing the alky in to the system I was probably dribbling it in there due to lack of pressure. How long this has been this way is hard to tell? I can't wait to make a log tomorrow after work.

My KR happens in a weird place when it does. Right before I get .09 KR my AFR dips to 10.3 and then leans out a hair and it goes away. I don't see a real reason for it?

If I hit the tires hard and run it from a dead stop through 1st and 2nd I get a bunch of KR. I put a 3 second ignore on that for the track.

I've dealt with kr from being too rich too.

I got a chance to make 3 logs yesterday after fixing my alky leak at the nozzle. 0 KR on all 3

I checked my fuel pressure on one of them and we're good to go.

I'm at the shop now 6 am getting ready to load the car and head to the track.

He is my dilemma with sorting out the chip pulling fuel hard and then adding a bunch. I went to the VE table and watched the bubble in both events. It's the same cells on both.

I went back out for a 3rd run and lowered my alky, that seemed to help. The chip didn't pull as much fuel. I decided not to worry about that as much as the area where it was adding a bunch. I increased the VE numbers in that area to make sure I'm covered for the track today. I'll see what the log looks like after my first run. I won't have the tune perfect by any means but I was happy to see no KR yesterday and the car seems to be running good.

Now watch me run high 7's in the 1/8th :cool:

There's a bunch of guy's from the area going today. Most of them race something or other. A lot of people have been wanting to see this thing at the track. I hope she don't let me down.

Well I got the bad luck out of the way for the day.

I was winching the car in to the enclosed car trailer. The tow cable came loose half way in. I was standing by the driver door running the winch and out the door we go backwards about 5 mile an hour headed right for my building. So I'm running aside the car trying to grab the steering wheel to turn it. Must have hit the driver door with my knee because I have a nice dent now and as I turned the car the right front bumper caught the cable on the door and ripped it off the trailer. Minor damage there.

I just got it back from the body shop having the trunk lid fixed. I was down at the river at the family camp ground and a dead branch fell out of a tree and dented the trunk.:confused: Now this.

Luckily I have a buddy who does PDR so he'll be able to fix the door no problem. It's a soft indention. The bumper and bumper filler is another story.

So you know what I did, got in the car and drove it in the trailer thinking I'd have to climb out the window. Nope opened the door and got right out.:cool:

I always haul on an open trailer but today I decided to use the enclosed. It's my buddy's trailer that he stores in my shop. Guess I figured since he winches in I should too. As soon as I got some slack in the cable away we went. I about had a heart attack. I haven't moved like that since running track in junior high. All you can do is laugh about it. I'm not going to let it ruin my day. It can be fixed.