Options for intake gaskets

hemi8

Goin Sideways
Has anyone come up with a good solution as far as an intake gasket for use with ported heads. The Felpro bathtub gasket does not have enough "meat" at the top of the port area. The Felpro 1200's would work fine but they are not a bath tub design which means the PCV will suck oil and the intake bottom will heat up with hot oil splashing.
I have seen others use a backyard pieced-together unit using a stock gasket and the 1200's, but I do not like this solution because fabrication is tricky and one can go thru a few gaskets before getting it to sit right .
So, has anyone or any company come up with a good design bathtub-type gasket with more "meat" around the ports to allow gasket matching to race-ported heads?
Mike Freeman
86 GN, Precision ported GN1 heads, Champion ported off-center intake.

I used the Felpro "bathtub" gasket with my full race port GN1's and it fit fine....how much "meat" do you want?...I just put a little of the Permatex red tack around the ports and it sealed fine...

By the way I used the Felpro #96037 gasket instead of the 96033...it has the EGR ports blocked off so it has a little more gasket on the sides of some of the ports...

Makes me wonder what the head porter used as a template for porting. Almost sounds like the ports are no longer where they should be....although using a gasket as a template isnt always the best solution. Ive simply modified gaskets in the past to fit. No biggie. You can use a machinist's deburring knife or even a dremel to modify it. Just lay the gasket on the heads and use a marker to show where to modify it.

If you want to use FP1200's there is another option. I got a lifter valley splash pan that is made for our motors from Automotive Machine and Performance. It was $41.77 shipped to my door. There # is 270-729-5556. It is a really nice piece and fits perfect.

James

Thanks James, that sounds like the perfect part. Is there a part# or manufacturer for this splash shield or is it made by the machine shop?
Mike

James- do you have any pics of the splashpan or their website? Hows your new motor working out. if you dont need the balancer i might be interested in getting it from you for my other motor.

Just call them, they specialize in big block Buicks but they stock these splash pans. There was no part number just call them and tell them what you need. I will try to post some pics later tonight after work.

49-Blues...Im just getting the rest of the parts together to put the motor back together. I shouldnt need the balancer off the motor. I wont have time to pull the balancer until the week of the 17th. If you still want it all you have to do is pay the shipping and its yours. Let me know.

James

I definently want it, let me know when you re ready and i ll gladly pay for the shipping.-thanks

Here are the pics of the splash sheild.

James

Attachments

• DSC00215.JPG
    DSC00215.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC00216.JPG
    DSC00216.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC00217.JPG
    DSC00217.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC00219.JPG
    DSC00219.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 148
How does it sit in the lifter valley? Does it overlap the ends? just ordered three of these- they re not what i expected them to look like. i thought the pushrods would be going through little holes in a two piece angled strip. but if they work , they work. and pics of them in the motor?

The ends of the sheild sit on each end of the block. I Hondabond (Honda's RTV) the sheild in place so it doesnt contact the pushrods then let it dry overnight with a heavy piece of 4X4 on it. Then install the intake the next day with more Hondabond and FP1200's. I didnt have any problems or leaks. Fits perfect. Sorry I dont have pics of it on the motor and wont be able to get back out to the garage till next week to take anymore pics.

James

Couldn't you use the old splash shield, just cut out the old gasket surface with exception to the four bolt points? Very inexpensive solution.

I used the felpro 1200 to seal the intake and took the old splash pan shield and cut the intake port section off of it with tin snips. It has 4 little indentions that catch under the head to keep it from moving up when istalled. These intentation tabs keep it held in place fine. That way you have the good seal of the 1200's and the spash pan cover like a stocker, and it is cheap.

FlightTest said:
I used the felpro 1200 to seal the intake and took the old splash pan shield and cut the intake port section off of it with tin snips. It has 4 little indentions that catch under the head to keep it from moving up when istalled. These intentation tabs keep it held in place fine. That way you have the good seal of the 1200's and the spash pan cover like a stocker, and it is cheap.

That's what I meant!

The intake will stay cooler if you use the splash, and you should open up the oil drain grooves a little more, but not alot. Use permatex "the right stuff". Nothing better against oil. RTV loses its bond from oil, and the right stuff doesnt. Its awesome.