You can type here any text you want

ordered my cam

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

postal

Peoples champ runner up
I went with a solid roller from Comp:

230 / 230 @ .050" and with my rocker arms the lift will be .604". This will have 113* lobe seperation angle (this was the widest LSA they could grind the core to). This is using the Extreme street roller lobe number 4872 for both intake and exhaust.

This cam is more aggressive than I originally intended but by going to a solid roller I was able to put alot bigger lobe in the same space. The gross duration and overlap on this cam is about the same as it would be on a 218 hyd roller.

This is the first time I ever custom ordered a cam. If this thing doesn't work I'll have no one to blame but myself. I hope I didn't pick a turd!

Jason

Originally posted by postal
I went with a solid roller from Comp:

230 / 230 @ .050" and with my rocker arms the lift will be .604". This will have 113* lobe seperation angle (this was the widest LSA they could grind the core to). This is using the Extreme street roller lobe number 4872 for both intake and exhaust.

This cam is more aggressive than I originally intended but by going to a solid roller I was able to put alot bigger lobe in the same space. The gross duration and overlap on this cam is about the same as it would be on a 218 hyd roller.

This is the first time I ever custom ordered a cam. If this thing doesn't work I'll have no one to blame but myself. I hope I didn't pick a turd!

Jason

What is your combination?
This is a little smaller than a hyd roller we had done.

Yes that will be pretty mild, but not a bad choice depending on what you plan to do with it :) What icl do you plan to install it at? Did you get good pushrods, and what springs?

TurboTR

what spring will you be using? I 2nd that, plese give part numbers and seat and open pressures:)

What lifters are you going to use???

Iskendarian solid rollers

What is your combination?

Thats up in the air a little bit d/t my nephew wanting to buy the 270" stage 1 motor that I had almost every thing I needed for. If he buys this (which it looks like he's going to do) then I will be building the on-center stage 2 I have. Its a 4.1 block but only sitting at 3.810" bore right now. The block will be dropped off this weekend in Indiana. I'm going to have it sonic tested and all that stuff. I'm thinking of going with the stock 4.1 bore or maybe a little less. The heads will be ported stage 2's. The headers and intake will be made by me. I'm going to order the pistons for 9 to 1 compression. The thing thats really up in the air is what crank to run. I have two 3.59" cranks but one goes with the stage 1 set up and I'm not sure I trust the other. I'm looking more and more into just picking up an Eagle crank. That will put me at 248 to 252 inch depending on what bore I go with. The turbo that I'm thinking of running will be an off the shelf Garrett GT42. If I can get some other things sold I may go with a pair of smaller ball bearing turbos instead. My car is also set up already with modified ATR liquid IC set up with dual pumps and ice water tanks. I got a T400 switch pitch (4200 high 1800 low). Built Ford 9" rear end, suspension mods ect. -10an up -8an return fuel lines with Areomotive a1000 pump. That kind of stuff. Ten point Cage kit will be ordered soon.

Yes that will be pretty mild, but not a bad choice depending on what you plan to do with it What icl do you plan to install it at? Did you get good pushrods, and what springs?

I plan on put putting around town with it, and take it racing 4 or 5 times a year. I want to go low 10's or high 9's 135 plus mph, and be able to pop a few wheelies.
I plan on installing the cam with an Icl of 113*, but may go with 111* or so. Once the cam is actually ground I will decide then because comp wouldn't allow me to specify Icl, they said they would have to go with what ever the core allowed them.
Push rods and springs still need to be figured out.

.604 lift? Is that taking into account lash??

.604" would be lobe lift times rocker ratio. I guess actuall valve lift would be a little less. My father has run solid lifter cams for years I will have to have him teach me how to set it up.

Jason

Originally posted by postal
Iskendarian solid rollers

.604" would be lobe lift times rocker ratio. I guess actuall valve lift would be a little less. My father has run solid lifter cams for years I will have to have him teach me how to set it up.

Jason

It's really pretty easy. Once you are shown once, you'll never forget. It is nice to be able to re-check them and see if anything is going on inside the engine. I have a simular cam in my S2 engine and it lifts .591 at the valve if I am remembering right.... Been a while.

So the rest of the details- will you be using the Danny Bee plate to retain the cam, or? Who's parts do you plan to put on the nose, what chain/gears, etc?

TurboTR

Originally posted by TurboTR
So the rest of the details- will you be using the Danny Bee plate to retain the cam, or? Who's parts do you plan to put on the nose, what chain/gears, etc?

TurboTR

Whats a Danny Bee plate? (is this the PTE style set up or some thing else?) I was thinking of running the washer style set up like the stock car guys ran. Some people are telling me that would be a mistake because it can mess up the front of the block. So now I dont know what to do.

I have a comp timing chain set with about 30 minutes of run time on it that I was going to use.

Jason

Cam Plate

IMO

TA Perf., has what you need.

I've just walked this path and with (TA) Peters' suggestions, went with the RollMaster chain and the brass retainer plate route to get away from the roller on the timing cover setup. To hap-hazard setting up clearances and I'm a lazy sort anyway.

Besides the chain being a better piece, getting rid of and improving
(IMO), a not so good design to what the good people at Ford have been
using for a looong time is dirt simple.

The kit has instructions for making the cut on the cam (which are dead on)
and taping three holes is a piece of cake.

Again the KISS method wins...

Ordering Pistons

ALSO:

PLEASE ....

Check chamber CCs when ordering pistons. You most likely will end with higher than planned numbers. The piece of mind you get is worth the trouble.:rolleyes:

Since it's solid roller with pretty aggressive lobes, plan on high end springs and pushrods and such as well. Most spring recs I've heard were in the ~ 230lbs and up range for seat pressure. That can be challenging to find in an 1.25" spring ;) Is why we have 1.55" dia in mine currently. Hopefully you will have the shaft mounted rockers. For sure you will need strong pushrods. Buicks have relatively long pushrods to begin with (~ 9.0" with S2/GN1's), which makes it even more important to get large dia/thick/strong. But also tend to have tiny pushrod holes through the heads (non-S2)... Hmm, wadda ya do ;) Single taper at least, or otherwise make enough room for a 3/8" dia. Many of the S2/GN1 solid roller combos run offset lifters on some of the holes too to straighten up the pushrod angle from lifter to rocker. I think mine has 4 offset. If you are interested in any of this typing we're doing here (lol), consider the Manton Racing single tapered pushrods I have for sale. After the last engine upgrade there is room for straight 3/8" in there now, which is what's in it currently.

TurboTR

This is for stage 2 heads. I have 1.550" retainers that came with the heads, and a set of crane shaft mounted roller rockers. I was planning on running the type of push rods that the roundy round guys where using with thier big old solid roller cams. I have a set of springs right now that I'm going to take to my dads house this weekend so we can get the pressures at the different heights. If the numbers look good I'll use them. If not then I'll see what comp recommends I guess.

Where do you get a Danny Bee plate and whats all involved? Also what is the TA set up exactly?

TIA: Jason

I would recommend using theComp Cams LS1 springs with those heads and cam.

My dad has been playing with a 238 cam, lift is .598 with 1.6 rockers, LSA is 112. Seat pressure is only 130 pounds now and he cut 30 grams per valve off of each valve. Sounds nuts but it works and that cam spins to 7500 rpms pulling all the way to its shift point of 6800.

With all of that motor you are building I was wondering how big of a turbo a GT 42 is? Not knocking it at all but I am sure the motor can handle much more air.

Reggie,

The GT-42 can out out up to 1200HP with the 76MM.
We have twin GT-42Rs 74MM on the v-8, they are good for 1100 each.

When are you and Dad going out again?

Dad is too busy building a shop right now. The GN is sitting there in the garage.

The T Type broke a rocker shaft and that is being rebuilt.

Thanks for the info on the GT 42, John. I cant keep up with the turbos and what does what anymore.

I am really starting to believe that cam failures have a lot to do with how much spring pressures we are putting on the valve train but I defer to the pros until I have solid proof. So far the black magic works very well.

Take care

Originally posted by Reggie West
Dad is too busy building a shop right now. The GN is sitting there in the garage.

The T Type broke a rocker shaft and that is being rebuilt.

Thanks for the info on the GT 42, John. I cant keep up with the turbos and what does what anymore.

I am really starting to believe that cam failures have a lot to do with how much spring pressures we are putting on the valve train but I defer to the pros until I have solid proof. So far the black magic works very well.

Take care
Reg,
When we built your dad's motor and I degreed the cam, I believe the lobe separation was 115.
Jeff

Back