Ordering Cam Sensor from GM - which one? ($180 or $54?)

GeneralB44

www.pinkhumpy.com
Hi all,
I'm ordering a new cam sensor from GM and they list two parts:

$180 - cam shaft sensor w/ wire lead
$54 - cam shaft POSITION sensor w/ wire lead

They said both have the same picture. I think I can guess which is which, but I don't want to make a $180 mistake!

Which is the metal shaft w/ the gear and which is the little plastic cap?

I am looking for the shaft that goes into the motor --- my plastic cap is fine, I think.

Thanks!

Brendan, the cheaper one is just the sensor/hall effect switch. The more expensive one is the sensor with the drive unit. If you have over 100k miles, I would go for the complete unit as they do wear and can start making noise. You should be able to get the unit for around $125 from Kirban's or one of the other vendors.

Thanks, guys!

Cool diagram breakout -- is there a reason why printing that document is restricted? (no matter - I got it printed by pasting screen shots into MSWord, hehe)

I found what I need on the kirban website for $125 - just like you said, Lee! I'm hoping this is what's making the sporadic bad-bearing type noise and sporadic backfiring ... the screw holding the top plate on the shaft came loose a few weeks ago and the car died, but I got the cam sensor reset and the screw/plate tightened w/ loctite and thought it was all fixed... it's probably losing the gears or something? Wish me luck!

GMPartsDirect...complete cam sensor #25516915...total cost with shipping $106.24...just ordered one last week...

Originally posted by MSDGN
GMPartsDirect...complete cam sensor #25516915...total cost with shipping $106.24...just ordered one last week...

Exactly. I just ordered 2 yesterday from GMPartsDirect. (I've heard they're being discontinued) Although, that may be a rumor to increase sales...lol.

Damn you, Cairns, you just cost me $212.47. I guess revenge is sweet for that $40k you claim I have made you spend, huh?

MSDGN - THANKS! You saved me a bundle! I just ordered one from GM PartsDirect!

Woo hoo! More money to spend on BEER tonight!

got 2 from a regular parts store (non delco), 60 bucks whole thing with the o-ring

Originally posted by Steve Wood
Damn you, Cairns, you just cost me $212.47. I guess revenge is sweet for that $40k you claim I have made you spend, huh?

Harump. When the price of the few remaining ones goes up to $200 each...you can just add what I've saved you onto the 40 G's you owe me.

Heard that same rumor about these going on the discontinued list...that's why I decided to pick up an extra now...