other cars revving at you

turboaddict2

Today I was going home from work today and I was on a two way road when I saw this mean looking Monte on the other side with a 4" cowl hood and smoked headlight covers and a sticker on the windshield that said "TROUBLE". As soon as he passed me he revved the motorl and maan it actually scared the #$%t out of me! There was something big under that hood. Sounded loud and healthy though. This ain't the first time it happened though. I never understood why other cars(usually v8's) rev at me all the time. Is it because they are trying to tell me there motor is bigger and louder than mine(which of course it actually is!)? Or there car is faster than mine? Or is it just about being macho? I'm sure some of you guys always get revved at on the street by the V8 guys.

Yet another advantage of the stealth-T. NOBODY sees anything special about my car (well about 1 time every two months or so somebody remarks on my car, and I drive it every day). So when I open 'er up, the mouths drop open behind me.

Yeah I get that too. Sometimes I follow them and find out why it was necessary for them do to that if they don't plan on running. It's mostly imports but I get a fair share of v8's but most of them never follow through with it. As far as I concerned if you rev your motor at me it damn well better be cause you want to run.

I wish that would happen to me. NO ONE does anything :(

Well, there was this turbo civic last night, but once he heard my turbo shudder (quick on & off the gas) he shut up and left the scene :)

-Banning.

Originally posted by J Banning
I wish that would happen to me. NO ONE does anything :(

It gets frustrating when you think your gonna get a race and they just end up running away when they find out your ready to run.:mad:

If you think you guys get revved at alot, try driving a stock looking Supra. Its funny at how many people with Mustang GT's think they can beat my car. I even get revve at while driving my WS-6. Does having 'GT' on the side of your mustang make any differance when you have a 280hp 4.6L V8 trying to go up against a 5.7L 350hp V8? I love when ricey del sols and preludes think they can hang with my Supra though. I once had to show up a kid in a civic while driving my girlfriends Escalade.

Who revs on an SUV? Only ricers in the bay area.

Twin Turbo Supras are so sweet....My buddy has a 450 hp twin turbo 1990 Z...and he would always get spanked by Supras with nothing more then exhaust and air filters..

the 300ZX has potential to be a nice car. They do have 1 major problem though. They are extremely squaty. But they are still quite nice. I think it would take more then a K&N and exhaust for a Supra to take out a 450hp one, Unless of course it was from a roll.

From what my friend told me....maybe his excuse;) I just don't know...was that the 300ZX is more of a top end car....he was always getting beat in 1/4 mile races...then again maybe he just does not know how to launch the car...:D

After that dude revved at me I was actually tempted to stop the car, smoke the tires and do a 180 turn and follow him but traffic was building up so I just went my way.

All I get is the MAD Stares from some plain jane ricers who think they are HOT stuff.

The others with the clown type colors. big wings, funny wheels look striaght ahead like I don't exist.

For the american crowd i notice lots of stang owners stare at my GN.

Dang, I do that all the time just to say hi! Of course I am smiling and if the window is down, waving at the same time. Around here it seems to be just a good natured hello to a fellow gearhead.

Seems to be the thing to do around here. I mean a 5.0 with Flowmasters has gotta be faster than me, right? People will rev and then not wait for a race. I think it's the fact that everybody with some mods thinks every other car on the road is stock. At least that seems to be how it is around here. I've shut ricers down with my '82 Suzuki Katana, but nobody wants a piece of the GN unfortunately.
I do the "rev" thing as well, but I'm giving thumbs up at the same time. If there's somebody I wanna race, I'll let them know without the car. Don't wanna scare 'em off!

I was stopped at a light last night and a wicked sounding
Firebird gave me an earful of throttle as he passed by in the
left hand turn lane. This guy had something healthy under
the hood and it startled me, but it made me laugh too.

I agree with Redrum, it's just a greeting from a fellow
gearhead. I always make sure the lookers hear my whistle
as I pass them by, they know what's up...:cool:

i usually kinda do the opposite... let on the gas and back off real fast so they hear my turbo 'fart' it either makes them think something broke, confuses them or realizes what i have if they dont already know :cool:

-Neil

Originally posted by TurboSupra
I once had to show up a kid in a civic while driving my girlfriends Escalade.

Who revs on an SUV? Only ricers in the bay area.

LOL, not true, it happens on the east coast too. I was driving my old GMC Jimmy and two kids in a Jetta pulled up to a light (in the middle of nowhere) and cracked at me (revved the engine). I looked over at my g/f and couldn't believe he wanted to pick a race with a brick. There was nobody around so I gave it a go anyways and as we pulled away from this POS Jetta the kid gives my g/f her first "F*CK Y*U, B!TCH look. Ever since then she's been wanting to get into another race. :)

When I used to street race I would sit in a parking lot with some friends of mine (Mustang and Firebirds). People would drive down the main road and 'crack' as they drove by. It made for good laughs, but rarely made for a race. If they wanted a race, they'd pull in the lot.

I was at a car show last thursday night. When I left I was driving home on a busy road in my area, Rt. 20. The majority of the way i heard this really loud car ahead of me and finally figured out it was an 86/87 Monte. Not even an SS. So I ended up getting closer to him cuz of lights and traffic. Well he turned right to go down this side road to go onto Rt. 146 (another busy highway in my area. He got to the light where he would take a left to go on Rt. 146. He was first in line and no other cars got behind him so I turned as well (since I can get home that way). His buddy sticks his hand out the open T-roof and gives me a thumbs up. I returned the gesture. The light turned green and he gunned it. So did I. As I turned I went a little sideways. I got off the gas to straighten out and got back on it. I FLEW by him. His car was making all the noise, my car was making all the power. I couldn't even hear my turbo from his noise. Their faces as I flew by them were priceless.

I am not afraid of loud cars because most of the time it is a smoke screen to cover up slow cars. Some loud cars are fast, no doubt about it, but most aren't. As the saying goes, the dogs bark is worse than his bite.

Originally posted by topfuel

I agree with Redrum, it's just a greeting from a fellow
gearhead. I always make sure the lookers hear my whistle
as I pass them by, they know what's up...:cool:

Sorry........I don't see it as "a greeting", I look at it as a challange, and as a disrespect to your car as the other driver is usually in no position to "race". I have these two guys who drive by my house almost everyday and shoot revs(one drives an 80's Irot Camaro, and the other has an ugly riced out late 80's 5.0 vert). One of these days i'll meet up with these idiots and I guess i'll just have to show em how my 'Regal' performs!!;) Sorry, but I don't see how it can be a "greeting". Just my 02's...........................KB

I don't think it is a greeting either. It is a challenge and a little bit of the Macho thing going on. Guy is trying to show you he is better.