TB scammer

ravege

Let me get this out of the way, I am an idiot. Maybe my idiocy can help another.

I was contacted by a new member, in fact this person joined one day after I posted a request in the marketplace. That should have been the first red flag.

This person put me in contact with “another person” who had a set of lower door panels I was looking for. This person had a sad back story, kinda pathetic looking back now, another red flag, but this board has had its share of tragedies so I didn’t think much of it. I never had a bad experience buying stuff here before and that probably aided in me not being as cautious as I should have been. What should have absolutely stopped me going forward was the request for a payment screenshot. This is a mule scam. If in your journeys you use Zelle or venmo or some other peer to peer payment processor and you are asked for a payment screenshot STOP IMMEDIATELY. This request struck me as odd, and I did some research after sending the money (remember, idiot here) and my stomach sank. He then contacted me again claiming to have forgotten to include shipping. I immediately replied no and to refund my money back, knowing I wasn’t getting it. Said he understood and would ship anyway.

I dont know the board policy for naming and shaming but avoid the following at all costs.
spaceturbo
johtech
kinghugy@yahoo.com
ashantijamal92@gmail.com
Jamal A

The last two may be an unwitting mule, but I’d be wary anyway. Spaceturbo and “johtech/kinghugy” which were very responsive at first have gone silent.

spaceturbo is the only one shown as a member.
Appears to have 4 posts.
Says he has an 82....
👀

These assholes just wont quit ........
Just got this in my PM

1703598848208.png

I've gotten this same format message over at ford-trucks.com forums when I posted a WTB ad, so these scammers are targeting more than just the members here. Glad to see the members join date is back front and center.

And here we go again... another PM

I messaged him back..........

1703886953579.png

Let me get this out of the way, I am an idiot. Maybe my idiocy can help another.

I was contacted by a new member, in fact this person joined one day after I posted a request in the marketplace. That should have been the first red flag.

This person put me in contact with “another person” who had a set of lower door panels I was looking for. This person had a sad back story, kinda pathetic looking back now, another red flag, but this board has had its share of tragedies so I didn’t think much of it. I never had a bad experience buying stuff here before and that probably aided in me not being as cautious as I should have been. What should have absolutely stopped me going forward was the request for a payment screenshot. This is a mule scam. If in your journeys you use Zelle or venmo or some other peer to peer payment processor and you are asked for a payment screenshot STOP IMMEDIATELY. This request struck me as odd, and I did some research after sending the money (remember, idiot here) and my stomach sank. He then contacted me again claiming to have forgotten to include shipping. I immediately replied no and to refund my money back, knowing I wasn’t getting it. Said he understood and would ship anyway.

I dont know the board policy for naming and shaming but avoid the following at all costs.
spaceturbo
johtech
kinghugy@yahoo.com
ashantijamal92@gmail.com
Jamal A

The last two may be an unwitting mule, but I’d be wary anyway. Spaceturbo and “johtech/kinghugy” which were very responsive at first have gone silent.
I know this is an old thread, but as a fellow idiot, I felt compelled to add my similar tale of woe. A few years ago, I was desperately looking for an '86 grill, and posted here. Just as you describe, I got a response from a member, recommending contacting another person on the site. Long story short, I sent money via Venmo, and was scammed. So, yeah...don't do that! Luckily, my shop found me a legitimate grill, and I'm enjoying my car once again. Lesson learned (painfully).

spaceturbo
johtech
kinghugy@yahoo.com
ashantijamal92@gmail.com
Jamal A

Sorry you got scammed, I NEVER pay with Venmo, Zelle, or Cash App...It's the same as sending cash in the mail. I like Paypal, at least you're protected against scams, Just don't do Friends & Family...Then you loose that protection