You can type here any text you want

over heating temp??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dank GN

BlackArts Automotive (661)993-8277
At what temperature would you start to see over heating problems??Just put a FMIC and it is idling at aroun 180*F and when im drivin it gets up to 200-205*F what can i do to help bring down the temp??

Its a stock radiator and stock fan how hot is to hot??? is 220 to hot??

My son lives in So. Cal. He went to an all aluminum radiator in his 87' GN and solved all the heat problems but they are expensive...around $450. You could try an "F" body radiator. They are light and cheap...around $100...but they do not have provisions for the engine oil cooler, only a trans cooler. That's what I'm using in my turbo car.

The engine was designed to operate at 240 degrees F according to Dennis Manner. Would not drive it hard at that temperature, but that temperature will not hurt the engine, unless you are boiling over and losing coolant.

I would definitely upgrade the radiator, especially if the factory original one is still in the car. The radiator from a 90-92 350 F-body fits with some slight tweaking but you would need an external oil cooler. If you haven't done so yet add a 160 degree thermostat as well.

Mine likes to stay just a tad over 190 on a hotter day. Mine has gotten to around 205 with my old thermostat in. I since switched to a 165

Hey Dank, You've seen my car. I use the super inexpensive F body radiator with great results. My car with a monster front mount never gets anywhere near the temps you have. Only caveat is you have to ditch the oil cooler. Not a big deal in my opinion, but I'm sure you'll hear differing views. Good Luck, Scott

The engine was designed to operate at 240 degrees F according to Dennis Manner. Would not drive it hard at that temperature, but that temperature will not hurt the engine, unless you are boiling over and losing coolant.
the hotter you can get the engine without boiling the coolant, the more efficient it is- right up until you start getting uncontrolled detonation.
if someone ever finds a way to run 20 pounds of boost with a water temp around 240, they will have themselves one really awesome combination..

hello people; Turbo Loyd who is Dennis Manner and what coolant temps do you see in your turbo Buicks?
IBBY

Anything more than 5-10 degrees over the thermostat setting says you don't have enough cooling capacity.

Just my two cents...If you run a front mount intercooler you need to run the original factory flimsy shrouding that goes from the outside of the radiator to the front of the grill. If yours has been taken off you can mock something up for a shroud around the grill from the radiator. Reason these cars run hot on the highway is because some cars don't have that shrouding from the factory still on it. Been there done that. Car runs great on the highway with that on it

the hotter you can get the engine without boiling the coolant, the more efficient it is- right up until you start getting uncontrolled detonation.
if someone ever finds a way to run 20 pounds of boost with a water temp around 240, they will have themselves one really awesome combination..

I thought the hotter the engine is, the less emissions they put out. That's why newer cars have stat around 200 degrees. The highest horsepower output is 160-180 degrees.

Its a stock radiator and stock fan how hot is to hot??? is 220 to hot??

If it's still the stock radiator, your least expensive and first option should be to take it to a radiator shop and have them either rod it out or re-core it.
That cured my overheating problems after a front mount install.

If that doesn't solve it completely then a fan upgrade would be in the next thing to look at.

I fabed up something to block the bottom between the F/M and the radiator also placed a ducting where the old I/C was to help get some fresh air in the engine bay we will see if this helps lower my temps??? Thanks for all the input guys

I thought the hotter the engine is, the less emissions they put out. That's why newer cars have stat around 200 degrees. The highest horsepower output is 160-180 degrees.

tell that to the guys that build the motors for the NASCAR Cup racers. they don't start to worry until they see temps in the 240 range- then they come in and pull a piece of tape off the grille to let in just enough air to bring the temps back down to the 225-230 range.

Back