You can type here any text you want

Owned or driven from the past worth $$$$ today - Kirban

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dennis Kirban

Kirbans Question:

It has to be a car you owned or have driven prior to 1995 that in todays market is worth one hundred grand ($100,000) or more. Can be a car you owned from years ago and probably regret selling and probably are surprised at how much it is worth now. May have been a neighbors car you had a chance to drive.

Has to be prior to 1995 so that eliminates any late model cars. Some of you may have had an opportunity when you were younger to drive a car that has just skyrocketed in value.

Be interested to see what cars pop up from you.

I got one example that comes to my mind that my friend down the street owned when I was a teenager. Today this car is worth 350 grand ($350,000) or better. In the early 1960s he paid I believe $6500 and it was a 1957 model. In the early 1960s $6500 for a used car or any car was very big money. Most new cars sold for around $3,000 at the most.

He actually lent it to me once in awhile to go out on dates in. This was back in 1964-65. At the time I had a 1956 Crown Vic Ford. Basically a $500 car.

I left out one important fact. What car is it?

Lets see who can figure it out.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

You can rule out any Buick in the answer.

In 1965 I bought a 1962 cobra 260 cuber from a friend. Drove it about 2 weeks and returned it and bought his 1965 FI vette instead for the same price $3200.00. The Cobra was not very fun in WA. State weather. I got soaked driving it in the rain. It was Deja Vu in the late 90's when I bought a 96 Viper RT. Wet again in the rain. I am sure that early Cobra would be worth quite a bit.

A 1957 car worth 350k? Must have been a Mercedes Gull Wing. I dont think the T-Bird S/C cars or Vette FI cars are worth that much. Maybe early Ferrari?

Not worth 100k but owned 74 SD 455 TA. Wish I still owned. HS car sold in 83 20k miles, when I moved to Pa. from Il. Insurance was just to much!:mad:

Kirbans Question:

It has to be a car you owned or have driven prior to 1995 that in todays market is worth one hundred grand ($100,000) or more. Can be a car you owned from years ago and probably regret selling and probably are surprised at how much it is worth now. May have been a neighbors car you had a chance to drive.

Has to be prior to 1995 so that eliminates any late model cars. Some of you may have had an opportunity when you were younger to drive a car that has just skyrocketed in value.

Be interested to see what cars pop up from you.

I got one example that comes to my mind that my friend down the street owned when I was a teenager. Today this car is worth 350 grand ($350,000) or better. In the early 1960s he paid I believe $6500 and it was a 1957 model. In the early 1960s $6500 for a used car or any car was very big money. Most new cars sold for around $3,000 at the most.

He actually lent it to me once in awhile to go out on dates in. This was back in 1964-65. At the time I had a 1956 Crown Vic Ford. Basically a $500 car.

I left out one important fact. What car is it?

Lets see who can figure it out.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

You can rule out any Buick in the answer.

I think I saw this in one of your inner circle emails. Was it some kind of BMW? I think you referred to it as the holy grail of Beemers, like the GNX is to the buick folks. If there is big prize money riding on this, let me know and I'll peruse the old emails until I find it. :smile:

Not sure if it was worth 100K but who knows at Barret Jackson.
Still kicking myself on this one but in the seventies sold it to my uncle for a lil of nothing.

Car was a 65 Dodge Coronet with a 383 Police Interceptor, 727 and suregrip, white with steel wheels real plain jane stripper..had a radio and heater and thats it all original untouched.

When I first got the car I didnt know it was a PI motor had no idea and neither did the guy that had it before me.
Went to parts store and picked up a air filter. Got home and the air filter would not fit. Went back to the parts store with the old one and got to checking and guy had to search but it turned out to be a PI motor.
Further investigation and had dual points and the block was a thicker casting.

ahhhh.. old junk we had years ago :eek:

65 Corvette 396/425hp
2/70 Mustang Mach 1 428 Cobra Jet's
a few 67 Shelby Mustangs .. GT 350's and 500's
68 Shelby Mustang GT 500 KR convert
57 T bird

and my dream car at the time ..
65 Shelby AC 427 Cobra

prob more I forgot :rolleyes: :p

my brothers Friend had a car that was going to be my first car until my dad test drove it :eek: ....he said it was too fast...
looking back he saved my life.....it had 30k miles ( low to be a 1970 model in 1986)and it was priced right at $2500.....i didn't like the gold color much but i really liked the black stripes up the hood and on the trunk......a door that opened on the hood when i floored the car for the first time caught my eye.....oh memories

my first car that never was ; 1970 chevelle SS 396,column shift

I had a 70 TA white with blue stripes and interior, not the orginal motor, a 1970 W30 442 column shift bench seat car all numbers matching, I wish I had both of them back, they were fun and I was young and did not think they would go up in value.:frown:

In 1965 I bought a 1962 cobra 260 cuber from a friend. Drove it about 2 weeks and returned it and bought his 1965 FI vette instead for the same price $3200.00. The Cobra was not very fun in WA. State weather. I got soaked driving it in the rain. It was Deja Vu in the late 90's when I bought a 96 Viper RT. Wet again in the rain. I am sure that early Cobra would be worth quite a bit.

Very similiar to my experience. Bought a 1964 289 Cobra in 1966 for $2800.00 had it for 4 months, LOVED the chit out of it, but was drafted in Aug.66. Put it in the garage thinking I'd have it when I got back, but withing a year, got my butt married and had a pregnent wife. Had my Pop sell it for me in late 67 for the same $3200,00!

Still have the wife, and a beautiful daughter, so it wasn't all bad!:biggrin:

At the same time I was doing this had a friend with a 1964 Alum. front end Ply, with the 426 WEDGE, dual quads, et. al. get drafted with me . He had to sell that car for 2K taking a loss as NO ONE around was interested in a DRAG CAR when all the young guys were getting drafted!

major oops !

bought a 67 Z28 camaro, SS/RS one of 602 built, Hide away headlights, etc.
not knowing how rare, used and abused it for yrs, sold off the 302, put L88 alum head 427 in it, finally traded it for el camino, (kept the L88)
looking back, oh sh!t! no idea how much there worth now, but possibly more than I paid for it. LOL

1969 1/2 plymouth 440 6bbl roadrunner
or my
1969 1/2 dodge 440 six pack superbee

Wish I still had them

Jack

Not mine, but my brothers. He owned a 71 Dodge Superbee 440-6 auto he sold for $2500 in 1986. Car was green and he picked it up in Stafford Springs CT for around $2000!! I tried to buy it from him but he didn't want to wait until I sold my 68 Charger as he needed the cash. That car was one of 63 made in 71 with the automatic. I think they made 30 something with the 4-speed. We didn't even know it was a 6-pac car until I did some research and saw that all important V in the vin. Saw one go for over $100k a few years ago...........:(

As for myself, I had a chance at a 71 GS Stage1 4-speed, but the guy just wanted it to be a lawn ornament........:mad:

Ken

Hell all the cars i had pior to 1995 wouldn't add up to $100,000.Did drive a nice 59 Rolls in the mid 60's.Girl friends grandmas car.I think it was a SilverCloud model.

1970 Plymouth GTX 440 with "air grabber" and 4 speed. If I had known in 1985 what I found out by 1995.......:mad:

Back