You can type here any text you want

P.L.& WB o2 advise needed

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JimG

I am looking to replace the old direct scan with the new power logger unit, and also wish to upgrade with an WB 02 sensor setup.
I gather that these can be combined in some fashion, but I feel a little lost.
I intend to use my laptop to datalog as was done with D.S.
What am I limited to in regards to input? Can egt also be monitored, along with A/F, boost,etc?
or must i choose between egt and A/F?
My apologies if these questions are "dumb".
Thank you for your patient replies.
thanks
Jim

I am looking to replace the old direct scan with the new power logger unit, and also wish to upgrade with an WB 02 sensor setup.
I gather that these can be combined in some fashion, but I feel a little lost.
I intend to use my laptop to datalog as was done with D.S.
What am I limited to in regards to input? Can egt also be monitored, along with A/F, boost,etc?
or must i choose between egt and A/F?
My apologies if these questions are "dumb".
Thank you for your patient replies.
thanks
Jim

The P.L. input block can accept WBO2, MAP(boost), EGT at the same time. If you're going to supply EGT, it does require an optional EGT amplifier that you can get from Full Throttle when ordering the P.L.

X2, my personal recommendations for a wideband would be the PLX SM-AFR. Small, cheaply priced and easy to wire up.

thanks for that guys,
one more question, the wb02 sensor will be able to read both A/F and EGT?
or is another sensor required?
Jim

You will need the EGT amplifier from full throttle as well as an egt probe that you can grab from rjc.

Ok, thanks again. You guys are always so helpful. I am still a little muddy though.
I can place the EGT probe in the location of factory n/b o2 sensor, yes? Can this be a permanant install, or does something need to be done about the factory sensor as well?
Sorry for dragging this out.
Jim

well on a typical setup you would still need the nb o2 in there so you would tap for the egt somewhere else. do you have a spot in your dp for the wb o2?

answer

well on a typical setup you would still need the nb o2 in there so you would tap for the egt somewhere else. do you have a spot in your dp for the wb o2?

yes i have a bung in the downpipe for the wideband sensor, I guess where i get lost here is that on the RJC page, it suggests to place the EGT probe in place of the n/b sensor.
To have both the n/b, w/b, and the egt setup, I would need a third bung?
if so, then where would be the best spot for the egt probe?
Thanks for your patient replies.
Jim

Well you have the option to wire the NB output of the WB o2 into the ecm NB wire completely eliminating the NB o2 sensor and then you can get the o2 to egt adapter (which is how mine is setup) or you can drill and tap a hole just under the turbo on the front side of the manifold for the egt and leave the NB o2 in place.

Well you have the option to wire the NB output of the WB o2 into the ecm NB wire completely eliminating the NB o2 sensor and then you can get the o2 to egt adapter (which is how mine is setup) or you can drill and tap a hole just under the turbo on the front side of the manifold for the egt and leave the NB o2 in place.

I WOULD NOT recommend using the WBO2's NB simulated output to feed the stock ECM. That simulated output is NOT like the stock NBO2 sensor, no matter what the manufacturers claim. The simulated NB curve is far different that what is produced by an actual NBO2 sensor. IT's much steeper, and it's min max points are totally flat, unlike the real thing.

If you want to run EGT and WBO2, you'll need a bung for the WBO2, and also one for the EGT (preferably mounted very close to the stock NBO2). Or you can do like some of us and get an EGT probe that clamps on and only requires a small 1/8" hole be drilled into the header. I believe I have a picture of this in my photo albumn in the Grand National photo collection.

Like this:
Click to enlarge:

And of course the WBO2 goes in the downpipe.

The reason you need to keep the stock NBO2 is because you're still running the stock ECM, and it requires that input. NOT a simulated signal. Been there, done that.

Ive been running said simulated NB output for 3+ years without issue on a stock ecm, stock chip as well as TT chip. The only thing the chip cares about is how many times the signal crosses .5 volts. It doesnt use the curve in it's calcs for fuel, just cross counts... Everyone has their own preference, mine is simulated. Never had an issue.

once again,
thanks TurboDave and Steve for sharing your knowledge and experience.
Jim

Back