Paint on the cheap?????

TurboTnZ06

Go on red!
So if I have a compressor and a spray can, can I lay down a decent paint job? I can live with some trash in the paint. I'm sure there will be some bugs and dust that get in.

Gonna sand the car down to bare metal and shoot it. Catch is I've never painted before. Got like 3 dents to fix and one grooved dent where I backed up and grabbed the edge of a big rock in my driveway when I was not looking. Otherwise, it should be as "easy" as sanding the car, pulling the trim and windows and prepping it well. Oh, I've never done any body work before, but I watched some shows on speed where they did some body work to remove the oil can effect. Looks like fun.

I only have Saturdays to work on the car, so any suggestions? Gonna just do it in the factory grey (code 15 I think). I need the car painted before it starts to rust. Just moved to SWFL and I can already see new rust showing up on exposed metal like my tie rods, where in Colorado it didn't rust for years even though it was exposed.

TIA

bosted86 said:
be careful removing the opera windows.

I have an extra set of the opera windows which I picked up years ago. Hopefully I'll see how they are in there to get them out. That nasty black goo stuff doesn't look nice either...

The shows on TV don't show everything. Its not as easy as it looks. Maaco will do a better job and wont have it as long as it will take you to do the job. I hate Maaco and I would never tell anybody to go there. I'm just telling you that, if you have no idea what your doing except what you have seen on the boob tube. Your going to be in way over your head.. What I would sugjest would be to sand the rust areas and spray some primer over them entill you can aford a real paint job.

If you metal prep with a rust converter after sanding, then squirt some primer on the rust spots as mentioned. Be sure and spray some lacquer spray paint over the primer. Primer soaks up water and you'll be worse off than before. Paint works like a water repellent but won't stop rust underneath.