Park Avenur Ultra information needed - experts?

dmanlyr

Long story short, I am one of those Supercharged Olds 98 owners lurking aroound the dark corners of this site.

I am looking to get something newer than my 92 Touring Sedan, but Olds didn't offer the S/C after the 94 model year, so no Series II's. And no Olds 98's after the 96 model year to boot.

I see Buick Park Avenues out there, evidently there was a body change in 97 and I really like the idea of a early 2000's Buick Park. What I want to know is wehat to look for. I am looking only for the Ultra (S/C std), and would like a well handling car like my current Touring Sedan, rather than a floater. I believe Buick refered to this as the grand touring option, but ? I am also looking for the HUD display. Anyone care to point me in the right direction?

Thank you - David

Sounds like you want a 97+ GTP(they have stiffer suspension,like the olds intrigue and maybe 2000+ cop impalas) but if you want a full size car go bonneville ssei 96 -99 or olds 88 lss (they are fullsize h-bodies that are stiffer than base models from what I know). I just got a 98 regal gs with grand touring suspension and put 17 inch rims on it but still has a softer ride than a stock intrigue or gtp (they're all w-body chassis). Does your car have that fe3 package or did olds discontinue it? The bonneville ssei and olds lss might be close enough to your 92, they all have bigger sway bars and a front strut tower brace that the first few years of the h-body chassis didn't have. I hope this helps, anyone else know?

Look for a '98 or up (they have all the trans updates).Bigger,more room and they have a real back seat.Also handle plenty well with the Gran Touring Suspension.Plus most have not been modded/beat to death like a GP of same vintage.

Thanks for the ideas. I have given some thought to a smaller car, but I just like the larger Parks. Well to be honest I am still a Olds 98 lover, BUT GM decided to nix that, so.. time for the next choice..

I did just find out about the Grand Touring Option, that looks like something that I would like to have, but I don't believe that Buick ever made a later model Park Ave with the bucket seats and floor shift ? Correct? I think this was something that only Olds and Cads had available ?

I am still looking for a comprehensive web site that has a total year by year change and standard/option lists on these Park Avenues.

And 86 limited - yes, they didn't call it the FE3 any longer, but the touring sedans came with the firm ride / larger roll bars and 225R60 w/16" rims

Thanks, David

Yes Olds did have the sc 3800 in 96. I was at the local upull a few months back and got the top end(minus supercharger) from an 88. It was a white one.

Yes Olds did have the sc 3800 in 96. I was at the local upull a few months back and got the top end(minus supercharger) from an 88. It was a white one.

You are correct in this, the S/C was available in the smaller, cheaper 88 LSS model. Unfortuantly while this car did come with bucket seats, they were not the Lear designed seats as used in the 98 models, nor did the center console upsweep in the front and join into the dash. Small details I know, but I am looking for luxury, not only power options. The other thing that I have never found, although I am sure that they are out there is a later model 88 with the driver information center (dash computer) and I refuse to drive or own a car without this option. If you think I am little snobbish to the Olds 88's, well yes I have to admit to that in that they are not in the same class as the 98's as far as luxury goes.

Which is why I have turned my attention to the Buick Park Avenues, even though I really prefer the quasi fender skirted Olds 98 styling.

I am slowly learing about these rather nice Buick's, I was just hoping to find some good year by year model options / standards.

Thanks, David

ultra's come with everything you're looking for....
smooth ride, driver information center, heads up display, automatic rain sensing windshield wipers, heated seats, self tilting parallel park assist mirror, self leveling rear suspension

i would get a 99+ as they have everything(except ultra sonic parking) that the new models have feature wise. the 04+ have some extra appearance details

Attachments

• IM001926.JPG
    IM001926.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 173
  • IM001917.JPG
    IM001917.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 184
Great information. Thank you. I found a very clean 1997 Ultra, Black with the tan interior, but I think I will look for the 1999 and later based on the info. Thank you again.