patch for BLM lock

NC87GN

johnny boost
Can someone please send me the patch (cell values to modify) to lock BLM's? I lost some important notes when my Hard Drive decided to crap out yesterday. Thanks in advance!!

Mike Banas
87GN
mbanas@triad.rr.com

I don't have a copy handy, but if you go to www.gnttype.org and do an archive search for ijames and blm lock you should find the two I've posted over the years. Enjoy.

Mike,

Did you get the email I sent you? I never got response and RR has been having some email issues lately.

Steve

I was pondering something relating to a BLM lock...

First off, let me say that I've only dabbled a small amount with chip programming, so at best I'm way down on the steep part of the learning curve. So I may have a fundamental misunderstanding here.

That being said, as I understand it (from Carls excellent explanations over the years), the WOT BLM is part of the final inj pw calculation. If you change the BLM by 5%, then the amount fuel the ecm wants to inject also changes by 5%. Yes?

Now suppose you get your chip perfectly tuned, so everything is perfect. You're running 20 psi boost, the WOT BLM is locked at 128, and you've got the perfect a/f ratio. Life is good.

Then you go to the track, and up the boost to 25 psi for the big race. Now your tune is off. Still injecting the same amount of fuel as before, but you're moving more air, so you are lean.

You can raise the fuel pressure to get that fuel delivery back. You could also change the BLM lock value to do the same. Going from 20 psig to 25 psig (assuming the same intercooler outlet temperature) gives a 14.4% increase in charge density, the same increase in air flow, so it should require ~14% more fuel. If you change the BLM lock value from 128 to 146, that's a 14% increase, and your tune should be spot on again. Or at least closer.

Which brings up the real point of all this... couldn't the TurboLink boost harness be used to do this automatically? Call it a "floating BLM lock". ecm gets a MAP input via the boost harness, runs through a quick formula to get the ideal BLM lock value, and then uses that in the final inj pw calculation. Fueling is nearly perfect all the time, no matter what boost level you are running that day. If there was a way to get the IC outlet temperature as well as the manifold pressure then you could also compensate for summer/winter as well as changing boost levels, but since the MAT input is used for MAP with the boost sensing harness I don't think that's possible.

Anyway, just an idea I thought I'd throw out there. Don't know if it's possible, but maybe it'll stir someones brain cells.

John

no comments? Jay, Carl, Dave? Could this be done in theory, even if a pain to do in practice? Or am way I out in left field here? I would think it would be similar to Jays chip that adjusts the timing based on the boost harness input.

John

Hi John, not trying to ignore you but I've been a little busy. Basically you are suggesting a hybrid maf/speed density system, using the map for a crude speed density input (without the temp corrections) only after the maf is pegged (at least that's how I'd do it, like the blm lock which I like to trigger at 245-250 on the maf). I'm sure it would work but you might have to twiddle the pe-rpm table some to correct for ve changes vs. rpm, and I like to lock to different blms in 1st/2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears to account for the load and different boosts I run in each but that could easily be either a multiplier or adder. There's already a table for wgdc vs. tps which I've been considering converting to wgdc vs. mat, to turn down the boost in cold weather, since I don't run the tlink map harness anyway. You could use that table space for a map to blm conversion since obviously if you have the harness you don't have mat anyway :). Steve Y. has been working on a mafless ME chip, using the tlink harness for map input - maybe this is a nice way to get the wot benefits of map while keeping all the part throttle and driveability of maf. Be an alternative to the extender, for sure.

Originally posted by JDEstill
I was pondering something relating to a BLM lock...

Which brings up the real point of all this... couldn't the TurboLink boost harness be used to do this automatically? Call it a "floating BLM lock". ecm gets a MAP input via the boost harness, runs through a quick formula to get the ideal BLM lock value, and then uses that in the final inj pw calculation. Fueling is nearly perfect all the time, no matter what boost level you are running that day. If there was a way to get the IC outlet temperature as well as the manifold pressure then you could also compensate for summer/winter as well as changing boost levels, but since the MAT input is used for MAP with the boost sensing harness I don't think that's possible.

John

Jay did this with a knob. It was his variable BLM chip. I assume he could do it with MAP to IAT input in place of a knob. With that, he could probably make it "boost compensated ", but cannot say for sure. Maybe he'll chime in

Been there, done that. It was too complicated for anyone to tune. I haven't done a variable fuel chip for anyone in 18 months at least.