You can type here any text you want

pesky vacuum leak

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

garrett

I have a 87 turbo regal with vacuum brakes from an 84 NA regal. The other day I was driving the car and the brake booster went out on me. Suddenly the brake pedal got real hard and there was a hissing sound when I applied the brakes. I pulled into a auto parts store and got a replacement for the booster. What they gave me looked exactly like the booster that was in the car. I installed the new booster and now my brakes work again. The bad thing is that before my brakes went out, I had about 20 inches of vacuum according to my boost guage. When I applied the brakes it would go down to about 10. Everything worked great and I had no vacuum leaks. Now, with the new booster, I only have about 2 inches of vacuum, and it goes to about 10 when I apply the brakes. This tells me that I have a vacuum leak. Also, my alcohol system does work now. Son of a Bit#*. I tried to make sure that the vacuum line running to the booster is plugged in well and sealed. I removed it and air leaked out the booster. I put it back in and sealed it with the Right Stuff. I also used a clamp on the vacuum hose itself. Is it possible that when the brake booster failed, it also wrecked the check valve that is in the middle of the vacuum line? It doesn't seem probable since the booster had air trapped in it when I pulled the vacuum fitting out . Has anyone had a problem like this before?

Hydroboost Conversion

The Pedal Pin Location To The Vacuum Booster Is In A Lower Positon Than The Powermaster, Or Hydroboost. Those Use The Same Pedal. By Connecting The Vacuum Booster Rod To The Higher Pin Location, It Will Either Dislodge The Poppet Valve Inside The Plastic Valve Body, Or, Break The Plastic Valve Body. The Pedal Must Be Changed To Match The Rod Angle, And Give It A Straight In Push.

Brake pedal

Thanks, but this car has the appropriate pedal for the vacuum brakes. I fixed the problem by sealing the 45 degree fitting into the booster with The Right Stuff. I love this stuff. It has to be one of the greatest inventions for automotive applications. It has saved my ass more than once.

Back