You can type here any text you want

Pick the head gasket.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

qwic87gn

It looks like the untouched motor is gonna have the heads removed while she is sleeping this winter. I hear lots of guys saying that once you break the factory seal, good luck on getting any gasket to seal properly.

There has to be one out there that wont leak if done right.

WHAT IS IT?

The only good luck I've had is with GM head gaskets. I've blown out my fair share of felpro's. I'm trying the ROL gaskets now (engine just put back in the car yesterday).

Derrick

Originally posted by qwic87gn
I hear lots of guys saying that once you break the factory seal, good luck on getting any gasket to seal properly.

I don't believe it :rolleyes: Back in 93 I rebuilt the engine in my GN. Didn't have a clue what I was doing as I knew Mopars at the time. Used Fel Pro stock style HGs. Went 8 yrs without blowing a HG and raced the car often (11.47 was the best time). I did use studs on the heads.

I think the best plan is to bring it up to torque slow, torque an extra 5-10# over if your not going to retorque, and HEAT CYCLE it a few times before you hammer it.

The HG blew for a reason, make sure the head/block are flat/CLEAN!, and the cam is good (#3). You need to make sure to start with low boost and work your way up slowly. If your not sure how to do that, find someone who does. Don't be afraid of what you "hear/read".

Good luck!

Cometic MLS HG with flat heads and block deck. ARP bolts at 85 and no retorque.
Mitch

I've had good luck with the Fel Pro 9441PT - I get about 100 passes on racegas out of mine before they start to seep.They dont blow but I see small traces of water on the breathers as I get to about 100 passes,then I'll do a set before they blow completely.

HTH,
Steve

Back