Pics:New 84, need help with these hoses and your guys thoughts.

fbodlovr

1/4 Mile Freak
I have a couple hoses that were capped off when i got the car. One is for coolant, which is the orange one and i dont know where it is suppose to go. The black on i think is on the fuel rail, and have no idea where it is suppose to go either. The car DOES run though.

The other pictures are of a vacuum line that has been spliced into, and maybe you guys can shead some light on whats up with this.

And the last one is of the car itself. Paid 3k for it, what do you think? And this one sits real low, but IS solid like the shocks arent bad. Do they sit low normally, or do you think this one has been lowered. Someone has started a little work on it before we got it.

WEll, for some reason it is only lettting me put up 5 pics.

Attachments

• Camera pictures 0471.jpg
    Camera pictures 0471.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Camera pictures 0491.jpg
    Camera pictures 0491.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 106
  • Camera pictures 0511.jpg
    Camera pictures 0511.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Camera pictures 0521.jpg
    Camera pictures 0521.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 97
  • Camera pictures 0541.jpg
    Camera pictures 0541.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 104
Here are the other few. Didnt know i could put more in a differnet post. Also, that cable looks like a speedo cable, but seems like it goes up front? because of the way it is aiming.

Attachments

• Camera pictures 0481.jpg
    Camera pictures 0481.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 92
  • Camera pictures 0501.jpg
    Camera pictures 0501.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Camera pictures 0531.jpg
    Camera pictures 0531.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 84
The black and orange short hoses look like the two hoses that feed coolant to the throttle body to keep it from icing over at cold cruising conditions, whatever that means. Lots of people just take a piece of hose and connect the two nipples on the metal lines. Those metal lines are the feed and return lines to the heater core by the way. The throttle body coolant circuit runs in parallel to those lines, and they can just be looped together, that's what I did, since I am never going to run the car in cold conditions, and I'm not quite sure it is all that useful anyway. Not sure about your other pictures off hand, although the one line you are holding that goes to the windshield wiper fluid tank probably just goes to the wiper pump.

Take a look at mine, see the hose that loops the two lines, same spot as yours
here

hey buick, that wire that i was holding isnt really a wire, its a steal cable which looks like to be a speedo cable or something. Didnt know if there was suppose to be one that goes to something else or not. Im getting alittle nervous as to the wiring in this car. its not horrid, but the guy that had it before me, did some stupid stuff.

For one, there are no boots on the door going to the kick panel? for some reason. looks like there was actually never one there. But he just had brown speaker lead type wire going into the door, one side was going to power, and then the other side was going to i think was a black wire on the diagnostic plug.

OH yeah, that link you gave me goes to the signup for webshots or whatever it is. i WILL have a ton of questions for you to come too. Can you fix that link, because i want to see what you did with those tubes. I thought one was the fuel rail.

whoops, try this

about that cable, probably is the speedo cable, will have to check mine tomorrow.

Yeup, thats it. Well, good to know that THATS what is going on. I could have sworn one of those was the fuel rail.

Hey, where did you get those new pipes going from your exhaust to you turbo, and then back out? and what about those two blak things towards the right hand side? what are those?

OH yeah, and do you know anyone that can look up my vin for me?????

the pipes are the up and downpipes in my sig, both I purchased from ATR. Do you mean the two black round things? If so, the one with the round black plastic cover is the EGR valve, and the one in front of it on the end of the fuel rail is an Accufab fuel pressure regulator. Try posting in the lounge to see if someone can get you a carfax report. People buy them and they are good for a certain amount of time, you can use it as many times as you want in a certain period, so usually someone can check yours for you, if there is someone in there who has paid recently.

Maybe you can also tell me what the deal with this thing is. It has a hole where a post goies threw it to hond it in place on the corner, but then there is a nub sticking out of the side where it looks like something should be to hold it. what do you think? and where is your intake at? my runs right there, above that.

is your egr differnt that mine, or is mine just missing the cover? what do you use to clean your engine bay also, mine is FILTHY!!!!!

Attachments

• Camera pictures1.jpg
    Camera pictures1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 125
My intake pipe was off for that picture, it goes in the same spot as yours. The stuff on the valve cover is your wastegate solenoid and your EGR valve solenoid. I can't quite picture what you mean, but it is supposed to attach to the valve cover via a nut on top of a standoff (basically its a double ended bolt). As long as it holds the solenoids securely you should be ok. I do not have those in my picture because I did away with both of them, partially because they were melted when I got the car. Instead I run a manual bleeder type valve for boost contol. I had to have the chip burned to eliminate both of those, though. By the way, yes your EGR plastic cap is just missing, no big deal. Also, I just cleaned everything when I was doing a total rebuild, although that GUNK stuff in stores works pretty decent in engine bays, spray it on, hose it off, just be careful not to get water anywhere important, in fact it might be best to stay away from that for now.

So, when you did away with those silanoids, didnt that basically get rid of your egr also? Is it there, just not working? And, where is your manual boost controller at? I just would like to get this stuff cleaned up. I think im gonna be replacing most of the vacuum tubes too.

can you also post up a direct link for the up and down pipe, and the fuel regulator, and everything else you have going on there. Just need some help to get me on the right road for parts.

Yup, those are relatively old pics. Now I removed the EGR valve totally and just made up a block off plate for it. Its important to have that compensated in the chip though, as it will throw a code, and the car will be more likely to knock under certain conditions, because the computer runs higher timing when EGR is enabled. My bleeder valve was not really visible those pictures, but if you look really closesly you can see part of it in front of the EGR valve, it is brass . Sorry, but I don't have any more recent pictures, will have to take some more soon. Just a sec, i will look for a link to those parts, I have been editing my posts like every 5 seconds :D

Accufab fuel pressure regulator, this is a nice piece: AFPR

The up and down pipes were purchased from ATR performance. However, for some reason they no longer have anything listed for hotair cars. I would try emailing them about it, though I have heard they are now selling through summit or jegs, I will check into that now. For what it's worth, the downpipe was ~130 and the up pipe was ~90. Not sure if the up pipe really makes a performance difference, other than being smooth bent, but the downpipe does. The downpipe comes extra long, and with a separate flange that has to be cut to length and the flange welded on to it.

Edit: jegs does carry the downpipe here
It is under 2.5" downpipe for 84-5 cars. The up pipe is not listed, I would try emailing ATR about it. I believe however that poston does make them, though I can't find one, their site is difficult to navigate. Also, jaysgn sells a somewhat more pricey one at $200, but it is probably the nicest piece in regards to fitting the best. See that here it's about halfway down the page on the right.

Trying calling ATR and seeing what they still have. The piece from Jays is really nice.

That cable looked to be the cruise control cable that connects to the throttlebody, but im not sure form the pic exactely as it was not too clear. I think everyone covered everything else! :cool:

BuickTV6 said:
That cable looked to be the cruise control cable that connects to the throttlebody, but im not sure form the pic exactely as it was not too clear. I think everyone covered everything else! :cool:

Pic o491 is the same wire, and its more clear. I dont think its that cable, but it might be. The cruise control thing already has one cable on the front of it. Is there suppose to be another cable on it somewhere?

I emailed ATR and they said they have an up pipe still and a downpipe in their parts list for the 84-85 Hot Air cars but the girl that answered my email is new to the company and doesnt know if they are for the turbo or some other kind of pipe listed like that and she said to call back on tues and she would find out.

Vac line

The pic that you have of the vac block (top of the throttle body) with what you thot was a 'tee'd' into vac line is actually the vac line that has to travel from the vac block to 1 of 2 spots - 1) the MAP sensor mounted on the Pass side fender 2) the HVAC (your heater controls) / Cruise - although it looks as though your cruise cable is done....

If you dont have a vac hose map on the fan shroud - let me know - I can take a pic of mine or there shud be here or on gnttype.org.

my85grandnation said:
I emailed ATR and they said they have an up pipe still and a downpipe in their parts list for the 84-85 Hot Air cars but the girl that answered my email is new to the company and doesnt know if they are for the turbo or some other kind of pipe listed like that and she said to call back on tues and she would find out.

Hey, thanks my85 I think ill do that tuesday.