You can type here any text you want

pics of my turbo project cars + introduction

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

500dollar744ti

well, i am a newb, my name is Matt, and as much as i would like to be able to afford a Grand National, i can't. i've always loved the GN and drooled over having one for years, someday i suppose... however i am still a turbo junky at heart and i thought i would share what projects i currently have in progress.

first is my 1989 volvo 740 turbo- '89 K-block, '96 FT pistons, '94 13mm rods, grooved 530, IPd cam, aw71-->m46-->t5, clutchnet 4puck/PP, T3/T4E, RFL, 20psi, MSnS-E, 65lb delphis, ported 90+, 12x24x3 ebayIC, 3" mikepipe, 4.10 locker.. i've been picking at this car for a little over a year now since i got it in stock form. right now it makes 265bhp/315tq at the crank and does pretty well for itself. i am in the middle of building a 2.4 liter 16 valve motor with all forged **** and have a gt35rs modded by precision to slap on there. this is the car as it sits now.
s6300667626.jpg

s6300669902.jpg

s6300674653.jpg

S6300180.jpg

S6301130.jpg

this is the other project car, a 1984 volvo 760gle. i went ahead and stuffed a 1989 mustang 5.slow into it because well, i had the car and the motor already. this car is not slow but surely not fast enough. i want to go ahead and jump on the turbo for bigger displacement bandwagon so i am doin a single turbo on this car... plan is to use a borg-warner t4, 31x12x4 ebay intercooler, internals are already forged from the factory, just gotta keep it under 500whp because of the stock block strength. i got the header setup figured out to fit a single turbo in the car and to do it on the cheap i needed to use a backwards stock header on the driver side to bring those 4 cylinders over to the turbo with the crosspipe. looks like everything is going to fit, i relocated the oil filter way away from everything, and hopefully this turns out well. here's this one.
S6301453.jpg

S6301460.jpg

S6301518.jpg

S6301522.jpg

S6301543.jpg

so yeah, that's how i introduce myself, say my name and show you the pictures.

Welcome to the board and cool rides. BTW there's a guy on one of the boards TB or TBS (can't remember) who's completed a buick turbo swap in a volvo wagon. It's pretty cool. Check out the hybrid section and do a search and you maybe able to find it.
If you can't afford a GN, ditch the 5.slow and do a buick conversion. Ton's of help on the board from guys who've been there/done it if ya get stuck.

Welcome to the site! Thanks for sharing pics of your projects, nice to see something different.

Is that a stock 5.0 bottom end? IF so it is not forged. The stock block can go @550-560hp at @ 6800-7200rpm. Just as a note you know you have the tune correct when you can split a stock block and not blow the headgasket in the process. Looks like a great project and get an LC2 stuffed in one of those things! Jon Hanson

Welcome to the board and cool rides. BTW there's a guy on one of the boards TB or TBS (can't remember) who's completed a buick turbo swap in a volvo wagon. It's pretty cool. Check out the hybrid section and do a search and you maybe able to find it.
If you can't afford a GN, ditch the 5.slow and do a buick conversion. Ton's of help on the board from guys who've been there/done it if ya get stuck.

i know the guy with the GN powered wagon, i have met up with him a couple times, his name is Gatti and every time i see him at a volvo meet he fails to bring the wagon... :(

anyway, i would love to do a GN swap but i dunno how cheap i can get the parts, i have $500 in the v8 car (including the car) and $900 in turbo parts to install.

i am well aware of the 5.0 splitting down the center of the block over 500whp... i am running this thing on megasquirt and i am aiming for 450whp, just think of the power per $ ratio, i am aiming for 400+whp with less than $1500, including the car, that's my goal.

thanks all, my goal with these cars is to be different, and it works, the 4 cylinder car runs solid 13's at the drag strip and nobody ever expects that.

I had that same Turbo system on my Mustang,,do you remember which vendor on ebay carried that, sweet volvo:cool:

I had that same Turbo system on my Mustang,,do you remember which vendor on ebay carried that, sweet volvo:cool:

haha, not exactly, but i made sure to get the one that had the lowest price + shipping... though the headers are ebay china stuff, $500 was a lot to spend on something you have no idea will fit your car. unlike with the mustang, i couldn't be sure these would fit. however, for the price i was sure i could make them fit. :cool:

btw, since i am still putting this together, and you have actually used it, what kind of numbers did you make at what boost with that thing? which turbo did you run with it?

Back