You can type here any text you want

piecing it together?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

406ttype

Sorry if this is a stupid question :confused: from someone that doesnt have the LC2. would it be possible to "piece" it together?would Any 3.8 out of curtain year: sedans work?:confused: What would need changed(heads,crank,cam pistons ect.)? Same question for the 4.1. Is the intake style and design only exclusive to the GN/T-type? THANKS

Any 79-87 231,252, 3.0l use simular parts as far as heads and upper parts so it should interchange without a problem.

i see. so i could go to my local salvage yard find say '87 3.8 fresh-in it up and it would be ok to use? are the cranks any different Strength or weight? And what about the heads? they the same, valve size and flow #'s? is it possible to find "109" block in a Buick sedan? Would a newer 3.8 work and to what years? same with heads. And for the intake was that used on any othe cars? thanks

i see. so i could go to my local salvage yard find say '87 3.8 fresh-in it up and it would be ok to use? are the cranks any different Strength or weight? And what about the heads? they the same, valve size and flow #'s? is it possible to find "109" block in a Buick sedan? Would a newer 3.8 work and to what years? same with heads. And for the intake was that used on any othe cars? thanks

First off you may want to do a search...this has been covered a 1000x's over...

The blocks are all the same, however, you will have to drill for a oil return from the oil pan itself. Some folk have been lucky and grabbed a 109 block and found a turbo crank in the block, however this is the exception and not rule. Some people have had good success will the N/A cranks in the 3.8, however, I would strongly suggest the turbo crank due to the fact it has the rolled fillets on the crank itself. Stronger and better than the N/A cranks. You will need different bearings, GM Headgaskets, Pistons, Rods, Pushrods, etc...
On a turbo buick engine, there aren't MANY parts that are interchangeable, but as a paradox, there are some that are...the blocks are the most common though...

Good luck on that Junkyard search....:tongue:

The heads that you also want are labeled 8445 (These are turbobuick specific) The intake that is used for these only came on the 86-87 intercooled engines. The throttle bodies are different, fuel rails, etc etc...

Best advice I can give you at this point....start a search

Start reading....

thanks i've been trying online for info.From what i gather from the info you've given me the intake and everything to do with it fuel rail,TB, i'll have to get from 86-87 intercool car.the block wont be a problem though what years will work though??? and do you know of any casting #'s for the crank to look for?? as for the heads labled 8445 "turbo spaciffic" as in only found on 84-87 TR?

thanks i've been trying online for info.From what i gather from the info you've given me the intake and everything to do with it fuel rail,TB, i'll have to get from 86-87 intercool car.the block wont be a problem though what years will work though??? and do you know of any casting #'s for the crank to look for?? as for the heads labled 8445 "turbo spaciffic" as in only found on 84-87 TR?

The blocks that you can use are posted above by Charlief;)

Dont think the cranks have casting numbers but not too sure...Im pulling my motor apart later in the week and Ill take a peek....

8445 Heads are turbo specific as far as I know..84-85 may use a different number, and a different head as well..

Go here www.gnttype.org

They have all the technical information you need...

Or buy an engine complete from the parts for sale section. By the time you buy all the pieces you will be at that amount or more.

The cranks have casting numbers. What you're looking for is at the edge where the rods mount to the crank. At the edge you will find a depressed section going completly aroung the crank. that's the rolled fillets design. It came in the turbo cars and the 4.1. The 4.1 I tore apart to build had this but the 3rd main was spun so badly I had to get another crank and the caps will have to be align bored instead of just honning.

Back