You can type here any text you want

Pinion Angle Math

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Heg87t

Slightly Compressed User
Hey,

Worked on setting my pinion angle last night after installation of new rear control arms.

Using my Craftsman angle finder I have:

Trans pan 1 degree right of 0
Driveshaft 4 degrees right of 0
Pinion yoke 1 degree left of zero.

Do the above readings give me 5 or 3 degrees of pinion angle? :confused:

Ok, trusting that you measured with the suspension loaded, and from the DS, everything to the left of zero is negative, and everything to the right is positive.....

Now, since you have one on the right of zero, and one on the left, we are going to add.....

SO: 4*+(-1*)=3* PA

One the flip side though, if you measured from the PS, it would look like this:

-4*+1*= -3* PA, which would be about spot on. Street driven cars benefit most from a -2* to a -4* AT THE MOST of true pinion angle.

Remember, an "off" setting of your pinion angle can induce driveline vibrations, binding under a hard launch, and can also rob you of horsepower to the tire.

if your looking for trans angle youll need to find another place to read from
the trans pan is not the angle of the trans output shaft ,

a better location is to read the engine/trans angle is off the crank balancer pulley or from the trans output yoke cup

http://www.wolferacecraft.com/pinionangle.aspx

v

Yahoo!!

Thanks for the replies guys. I finally got it right!! :wink:

To answer your questions DoWork: measured from the passenger side with car up on ramps and blocks so the suspension is fully loaded. The pinion is nose down.

Now on to brakes, fuel tank, etc, etc... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies guys. I finally got it right!! :wink:

To answer your questions DoWork: measured from the passenger side with car up on ramps and blocks so the suspension is fully loaded. The pinion is nose down.

Now on to brakes, fuel tank, etc, etc... :rolleyes:

Good to hear man! Glad you got her figured out! I had issues with it when I did the Spohn adj 4 link on my SS, after a hole lot of question asking, I got it nailed down too. I figured it would be best to give you both scenarios though :)

Just concentrate getting the correct pinion angle between the pinion and driveshaft. Don't worry so much on the angle of the trans/engine, you can't change that without alot of fabrication.

You should have negative pinion angle (pointing down). The amount of pinion angle is going to depend on what type of bushings are in the control arms/rear end. Under power, the pinion is going to rotate upwards.

The goal is to have the pinion and driveshaft in the same plane under acceleration (0*).

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Back