You can type here any text you want

Piston Clearance

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

fgordon

Waitin For The Majic
Last summer I had a local engine builder overhaul my engine and install forged pistons and a cam. Today I opened the engine after about 350 miles to install ported heads. I discovered that I had almost 35 thousands piston to cylinder wall clearance. This seems excessive to me. Does anyone know what the measurements should be?:confused:

I'm not sure how you're measuring but the piston to wall clearance should be in the neighborhood of .005"

Neal

Last summer I had a local engine builder overhaul my engine and install forged pistons and a cam. Today I opened the engine after about 350 miles to install ported heads. I discovered that I had almost 35 thousands piston to cylinder wall clearance. This seems excessive to me. Does anyone know what the measurements should be?:confused:

Typically the piston dia. is measured 90 degrees to the wristpin approx 1/2" to 3/4 " from the bottom of the skirt. This will vary somewhat from application to application and by manufacturer.

Neal

Back