You can type here any text you want

Cooling fans not working

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

8kllr

I was at a cruise the other night went well slow moving lots of cars.We decides after couple hours to get something to eat,sitting at pickup window all kinds of steam under hood immediately parked it popped good and steam was from radiator cap and overflow cap.i let car cool got water filled it left cap loose drove home.worked on it next day I have no cooling fan low or high the only time it comes.on is when I shut car off then it turns on for a few minutes.I switched out relays and no different,I can not believe it's fusible.link if it works when car is off and hot.I also replaced fuse for a/c under dash it was fine but put one in anyway.anyone have any ideas

I think it flickered twice but it was so quick Im not sure if it was it
It was a light on lower left of dash not sure exactly which one it was bottom of the three and one is my low alky light,so I cannot actually give a positive answer

I did download this already,haven't got to it yet hopefully this weekend I can go through it.I was hoping someone has same issue at some time and new exactly where to go,but gives me more to do and learn on car

From what I've read the 86 doesn't have the rlys 5 fuse only 87,or is that wrong.where would it be located

According to my 86 manual, the fan relay coils are fed from the A/C

the 'power' for the fans comes from a fusible link

This information matches the picture on vortex-buicks fan page linked above

Bob

You should have +12 on the fat red wires on the low speed and high speed relays at all times from the fusible links.
You should have +12 on the thinner brown wires of each relay, with the key in the ON/RUN position.
What's missing?
PS: Vortex link shows the relays fuse for relay coil power.

PS: Vortex link shows the relays fuse for relay coil power.
ah, you're right about the fuse difference. here's a pic from my 86 manual.

In all the years of owning one of these (since 1988), I thought the wiring was identical except for some wire colors.

Bob

IMG_3014.JPG

Definitely no power to the larger red wires to the high and low relays,just the delay relay.I see the wires are separate for the delay and the high and low are split off one.
I'm thinking of running new wore without fusible links and putting fuses in line up by relays I would think it would be ok just trying to figure out what amperage for each fuse

Fusible links protect the wiring, and need to be a few inches up from the source of power, such as the starter where they are now.
Sometimes the wires get pulled out of the rings when stressed near the starter and sometimes the links burn out from a short somewhere.
I guess you could provide power from the battery with a new fused wire, make sure you remove the old wiring that goes to the starter from the relays.

Fusible links protect the wiring, and need to be a few inches up from the source of power, such as the starter where they are now.
Sometimes the wires get pulled out of the rings when stressed near the starter and sometimes the links burn out from a short somewhere.
I guess you could provide power from the battery with a new fused wire, make sure you remove the old wiring that goes to the starter from the relays.
I experience that same issue years ago, were the wire ring crimp loosen at the starter ground. What's strange the 85 and 30 connector points on high side relay shorted out and slightly scorched prongs. Replaced both relays and haven't had anymore problems.

I switched the relays off my grand national first thing then went and put a new a/c fuse in just because even though it looked ok,did the test on red wires going to relays and no power to them only delay relay has power.so.saturday is first day I have off,(funny they switched my plant back to 8 hours because we didn't have enough orders to run continuous 7 days a week and now we are working 6 days and are behind probably going to 7 days a week) sorry to get off subject just venting.
So I was going to run new wires from starter up to by relays and install a 30amp breaker for each now I'm wondering if I should just put new fusible links back in and back on the road.I guess I'llake.that decision Saturday night when I get it apart.
I sincerely appreciate all the ents and info.to help me get this thing back on the street
By far out of all the forums I'm on
This is the most technically sound with advice and how to's and people helping out,I've even had guys say call me and walk me through stuff.Im not mechanically dumb built many of cars through the years but I know there's are a different breed and you need to be more precise.thamk you again.I.will post results when I get it done, hopefully Saturday

unplug and throw the delay away , cut the red wire at the delay conenctor ( C) or us male spade terminal and a short piece of wire , cut the red wire to the fan relay and connect the delay red wire to it
unless theres a problem in the fan circuit that cause d the fuse link to blow it should work

That's a good idea,should I just run 2 wires off delay relay wire one the the low and one to the high relay's

Back