You can type here any text you want

Piston sizing.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboDave

RIP DAVE
Staff member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
OK, another bothersome question for you guys.

Suppose a guy ;) has a block that has perfect cylinder that he doesn't want to mess with (4.020") (straight and round) because of the cylinder coating.

Now, also suppose this guy has a line on some pistons. These pistons vary from 4.018-4.02x" Obviously wont fit as is.

BUT, they have 41cc dishes, 1.21 compression height (which would yield 273 CI on this motor with a 3.59 crank and 6.5 rods).

Question: Can such pistons be "sized" down to the proper dimensions? I know very little about whether that can be done.

pistons

Not likely!!!
If pistons were the same dia. from top to bottom---maybe
Most newer style pistons are not ROUND---Measuring some new J &E --measured @ .500 up from bottom of skirt and 90 degrees to pin bore---then move the mic. around slightly toward the pin bore and they are smaller. Also they are tapered from top to bottom. Would also have to resize the ring groove. I/m sure it could be done, but the job might be more than new pistons.

Re: pistons

Originally posted by Lee Thompson
Not likely!!!
If pistons were the same dia. from top to bottom---maybe
Most newer style pistons are not ROUND---Measuring some new J &E --measured @ .500 up from bottom of skirt and 90 degrees to pin bore---then move the mic. around slightly toward the pin bore and they are smaller. Also they are tapered from top to bottom. Would also have to resize the ring groove. I/m sure it could be done, but the job might be more than new pistons.

I'm wondering how hard it would be to find a set of pistons 4.015-.016 or so?

Re: Re: pistons

Originally posted by TurboDave
I'm wondering how hard it would be to find a set of pistons 4.015-.016 or so?

easy as can be...just call JE, CP, or BRC up and order them. :) Tell them your bore size and talk to them about bore clearance, and they will make them to fit.

Back