Pitfalls of not using a turbo buick machinist?

VadersV6 said:
Huh? Engine builders and engine machinists usually live under the same roof. 9 out of 10 builders have been engine machinists for a long time before they ever stepped into an assembly room. I was machining for probably 4 years before they let me loose in the assembly room. I knew how to build a motor before the machining days, but after learning all I did at the job, its a good thing I didnt assemble many of them. You can only learn so much from a magazine.
Now mechanics are different all together. Mechanics are usually very bad with keeping things clean, so I wouldnt want them anywhere near an open motor. There are some who understand, but most use a shop rag on everything and have dust all over their shop. Plus they use towels and rags to cover an open motor instead of a fresh plastic bag. Synthetic fibers are bad bad bad for bearings.
---------------------------------------------
Brent:
In 99 out of 100 cases I would agree with you, but not involving turbo Buicks. Good turbo Buick mechanics are so hard to find anymore that it is very exceptional to find one that is a machinist also. And I am specifically refering to a good turbo Buick mechanic being also a good turbo Buick tuner. I have worked in machine shops & aerospace industry virtually all of my life, and I have known some very good machinists, but none were known to be good Buick mechanics, and damn sure not turbo Buick tuners. I have even known a lot of good engine builders in my time, but that does not necessarily make them proficient tuners. Good turbo Buick tuners are a dying breed that pretty much march to the beat of a different drummer, so to speak. I would agree with your philosophy regading mechanics & machinists in general, but not in the world of turbo Buicks.

"6. And this is one I ran into with a generic machinist. Explain politely what a "rolled fillet" is on the crankshaft and how he shouldn't try and machine it out."

:eek: :eek: OMG, thats got to be a quick conversation with a see ya out the door.