plenum question

the Answer...

"87LimitedT", having had one exactly like that, I know the answer. The first picture you posted is an original GM plenum that was modified to enhance flow. This was done by welding a plate inside and the welds ground smooth. Also the round opening for the throttle body was often enlarged (62 mm.was a popular size). Of course, the part number is indeed the same as the plenum in the second picture ( which is a stock, unmodified unit) as they used stock plenums to begin with...
The result is not bad (see times in my signature with a plenum like that + a RJC Power Plate...), although there are now larger throttle bodies/plenum combos available...

Hope this helps,

Claude :)

P.S: You can use the "modified" plenum along with an RJC power plate without any drawbacks...

LOL! Paid brother! Not enough to keep my gn running! You?

And still wondering why not use both rjc plate and ported plenum. anyone?

i have been i vol/part-time paid with city of RFD for 9 yrs. still tring to go full-time and still not have to have 2 jobs to pay the bills. Firefighters arent getting rich these days.

i have been i vol/part-time paid with city of RFD for 9 yrs. still tring to go full-time and still not have to have 2 jobs to pay the bills. Firefighters arent getting rich these days.

you said it bro! Are you a paramedic? I know around here its almost impossible to go full-time without it.

and thanks to TOOFASTFORYOU for the info! Im running the modified stock plenum wth rjc plate. just put it in and this thread made me think about it.

you said it bro! Are you a paramedic? I know around here its almost impossible to go full-time without it.

and thanks to TOOFASTFORYOU for the info! Im running the modified stock plenum wth rjc plate. just put it in and this thread made me think about it.

no i'm a medical repsonder/emt basic cert for state of NC. most of the departments require emt basic.

"87LimitedT", having had one exactly like that, I know the answer. The first picture you posted is an original GM plenum that was modified to enhance flow. This was done by welding a plate inside and the welds ground smooth. Also the round opening for the throttle body was often enlarged (62 mm.was a popular size). Of course, the part number is indeed the same as the plenum in the second picture ( which is a stock, unmodified unit) as they used stock plenums to begin with...
The result is not bad (see times in my signature with a plenum like that + a RJC Power Plate...), although there are now larger throttle bodies/plenum combos available...

Hope this helps,

Claude :)

P.S: You can use the "modified" plenum along with an RJC power plate without any drawbacks...

I called jason at RJC. he told me that the power plate for stock plenum would not work with the modified plenum. he said I need to use the bone stock plenum with it.

Im sure like you said that it can be used together without any drawbacks, but its not going to do what it was designed to do with the bone stock plenum.

any thoughts?

"dfirefighter", If I were you, I'd call RJC again to ask if they have a plate that's compatible for use with a modified stock plenum...Maybe a plate for a Precision or Kenne-Bell plenum would work?...:confused:
-The only thing I can say is that the times in my signature were accomplished with a stock modified plenum (like the one pictured in the first post) and Power Plate designed for a stock plenum...I guess it must not be that bad!!...:eek: During this winter, I've gone to a 70mm. Accufab t.b. and Precision plenum with matching RJC Power Plate, but haven't been to the track yet...:rolleyes:

Claude :wink:

I called jason at RJC. he told me that the power plate for stock plenum would not work with the modified plenum. he said I need to use the bone stock plenum with it.

Im sure like you said that it can be used together without any drawbacks, but its not going to do what it was designed to do with the bone stock plenum.

any thoughts?