You can type here any text you want

Plugging the heater bypass ports on the engine?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
ek02/charlief1. Very good idea. Shouldn't be hard to find a petcock to fit. Thanks for your support, Tommy.

I found this petcock that I think will work for me. With this design I can install a drain tube on it and place the opposite end in a bucket to keep from making a mess. Thanks again, Tommy.

Petcock.jpg

Scott, is this the nipple you are referring to, of which you cut off drilled and tapped? Circled in red. Thank you, Tommy.

Buick231V-6Timingchaincoverwithcoolantportcircledinred.jpg

Tommy, Yes that's the one. Hopefully you can see it in this pic. It doesn't show up well with all the shiny black paint. You can also see where I did the same thing on the water pump to the heater line, I installed a 5/16" barb to supply water to my turbo but you could plug it just the same. Like I said, if you use those rubber caps they seem to only last a year or so. One other thing that black set screw adjacent to where the distributor stabs in, you need to secure that somehow, it likes to screw itself all the way in with vibration and tear up the timing chain. I just coated with threads with JB weld and installed mine flush, but there's plenty of ways to do it, just pick one. HTH, Scott

Attachments

• DSC06594.jpg
    DSC06594.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 200
Scott, even with the black shiny paint, I can still see what you did. Awesome! Ok, the black set screw. I believe it is the one I have identified with the blue circle in the picture below. What is it's function? What about lock-tight? That should keep it in place don't you think? Aloha, Tommy.

Timingchaincoverwithadjustmentscrewinbluecircle.jpg

Yes, that's it, Not sure about lock-tite because it never really get's tight. It will just keep going. You could replace the set screw with a bolt with a hex head on it and then tighten it down nicely with lock-tite. Like I said, plenty of ways to do it

Scott, yes, replacing the set screw with a bolt sounds like a very good idea. That's why I love these forums. People like yourself always come up with awesome ideas. Thanks again Scott. Aloha, Tommy.

Scott, I installed the petcock (red arrow), replaced the set-screw with a bolt which I cut to the exact length that was protruding in the hole (purple arrow). I put some lock-tite on the thread. I temporarily installed two rubber plugs over the bypass ports (green arrows). I ordered the S shape hose that fits between those two ports and will be installing it when it arrives. Don't want to take the chance of tapping thread in the port on the water pump side right now. Perhaps the next time I replace the water pump I'll consider doing that. Thanks for the awesome support. Aloha, Tommy.

Coolantportswithcolorarrows-1.jpg

Back