Polishing or powdercoating

49-blues

Anyone have any good results with anyone that polishes intakes,valve covers , or powdercoating? also ceramic coating for piston tops?

piston tops

I have tried 2 different sources for piston tops but neither one would hold up. Seems as though the fuel spraying in on top of the piston acts like a sand blasting effect. They tell you they can coat the top and it will stay but from my experience---NOT.

I had my tb, doghouse, valve covers, and intake all powder coated sterling silver. It's the only way to go IMO. Had it all done over the winter and it still looks like I installed it yesterday. It has held up perfect. If you polish the intake it won't last over time. Maybe if you have it clear coated after it's polished but then that is only as good as the clear they used.

Pictures0005.jpg

Pictures0002.jpg

Pictures0016.jpg

I ceramic coated the exhaust side of the turbo, down pipe, y pipe, exhaust bracket, headers, turbo bracket, intake and valve covers. I powder coated the water pump and crank pulleys as well as the radiator top cover. The intake side of the turbo is polished. I am told the ceramic coating is not affected by gas and oil whereas the power coated parts can become dull if gas cuts through coating.

Attachments

• newEngine3a.jpg
    newEngine3a.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 296
  • GN003.jpg
    GN003.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 268
phillyturbosix said:
I had my tb, doghouse, valve covers, and intake all powder coated sterling silver. It's the only way to go IMO. Had it all done over the winter and it still looks like I installed it yesterday. It has held up perfect. If you polish the intake it won't last over time. Maybe if you have it clear coated after it's polished but then that is only as good as the clear they used.

NICE!!!
How do you keep it so clean?

Back to the topic:
Powder coat ANYTIME before polishing alone.
Polish with a clear high temp industrial rated clear coat may work.

phillyturbosix said:
I had my tb, doghouse, valve covers, and intake all powder coated sterling silver...
Jim,
did you have any advice or "How to" take apart the throttle body and properly re-assemble it?

I've wanted to coat my intake, but am concerned about messing up the bushings and shaft seals.

And, would you recommend masking off the sealing surfaces? Or let the painter spray the entire outside? I've noticed JetHot sterling silver can have a slight orange-peel texture , which might affect gasket sealing.

Phillyturbosix,

What up pipe are you using? I can't seem to find any chrome ones for some reason..

ks :cool:

Thanks for the comments guys! Lots of hard work in that engine bay so I'll take all the compliments I can get!! lol I think I can take apart a turbo six and put it back together with my eyes closed now! :) I'll try to answer your questions..

Jerryl: It's all about the poweder coating! It takes 2 mins. to wipe the engine bay down and it looks like I had it done yesterday all over again! :) I like it clean but I hate doing it! So I looked for the most easy way to keep the engine bay clean on these cars! :D I did the spray paint thing but that only seems to last about 2 years and the engine bay looks like crap again! :mad:

tom h: Do your self a favor and have your TB rebuilt. I had Steve Monroe do mine and he did an awesome job! Those seals are almost 20 years old now! You have to take everything apart to power coat. I sent the TB and doghouse to Steve and had him bore it out and then sent it out for powder coating. Then I sent it back to Steve so he could put all new parts in it and finish his work on it. It's not really that hard to take apart that TB and put it back together. Not much to it. Just take some really big high rez. pics before you pull it apart so you have something to look back at for reference. The powder coating people will know what to mask off when they do it. Keep in mind the usual process is they dip it in a chemical to strip all paint and grease, then sandblast it, clean again, then powder. Then it sits in a oven to bake the powder on.
I had my headers, downpipe, corssover and entire exhaust done in ceramic coating. The powder seems to be holding up awesome. I did get some fuel on the powder and it does not seem to have done anything to the finish. Still looks awesome. The intake on these cars can really suck up the grease and look like crap. I'm very very happy with the powder on mine. So easy to keep nice with minimal work :)

KEVINS: That is Mark Hueffman's famous 3" up pipe. I just love the look of that pipe. http://www.buickgn.com/uppipes.htm He's got all the goodies you'll ever need for your turbo Buick! :)

Here is a link to my site with more pics of the powder coating I had done over last winter.. enjoy! http://turbobuicks.net/gallery2/v/Philly/album02/Winter+06+project/

I got them from http://www.alloyboltz.com/ the owner died right after I ordered all my stuff but it looks like someone might have taken the business over. I would call them to be sure. But he had the best kits for our cars. Some stuff was off a little but really nice to buy just what you need and not a ton of stuff laying around extra from ARP!

I just had my TB, doghouse, valve covers, intake, up-pipe and turbo shield quoted for powder coating ($120) so it will be done this week. :cool:

KS :cool:

Powder is pretty cheap way to go as well that's the nice thing about it!

KEVINS: make sure you take some before and after pics and post them when it's all done and back on! :)

Philly,
Did you have to replace the seals in the TB if so where did you get them, P/N?
I got my parts back today (the plenum, manifold and turbo shield don't look that great, IMO) but I need to replace the seals in the TB. The parts have a very large "orange peel" finish instead of smooth. Your manifold looks great but maybe you smoothed if first, I dunno. I'll post b4/after pics when I have some time..

KS :cool:

I believe they re viton seals- like teflon, there is a guy on here that bores the tb out and rebuilds them-he should have some seals if he ll sell them to you. Keith Mease did mine but not sure what his situation is now.

Well here's a couple of poorly taken pictures of my car with polished stock valve covers and plenum. Also note the polished aluminum big mouth kit. I need to get some better pics of this. I really like the look, and the maintenance isn't too bad if it's a car that never gets out. Just go over the stuff you can see once a year with some polish. The engine bay still needs some attention but it is getting better.

Attachments

• gn1 009 cropped.jpg
    gn1 009 cropped.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 194
  • 100_4545 sized.jpg
    100_4545 sized.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 167