Pontiac pulls out of NASCAR

Yea, I heard that this morning..that's terrible. They weren't in it for long anyways....too bad. Next year you can look forward to seeing the Toyota race..that's just plain WRONG! To have an import in there, Domestics should be ashamed.

Nice Mistake GM!!! What's next?? Pull Chevy out and put in SAAB!!

Race on Sunday, sell on Monday doesn't work too well when ya kill off the Firebird, then have styling blunders like the Aztek. Very sad indeed.

anyone heard that chevy is closing the cavalier line.
not sure if its rumor or not, but if its true that would be another huge mistake.
Man what are those corp. GM guys thinking, looks like they are trying to crumble the buisness.

The wide track people

Did I hear that anylists predicted that one of the big three auto makers was going to be bankrupt within the next ten years? Well show they're right!!!!!!:rolleyes: Drew

nascar SUCKS the rules are all wrong the cars don't look like the ones on the road why have a v8 in a car that is only produced with a V6 I say let whoever in. maybe after getting their butts kicked for a while someone might wise up & make some changes

yeah nascar got too popular and it ruined the sport. how you gonna have a car on the track thats RWD but on the road its FWD??? Nascar died with the G-body!!!

They probably realized that NASCAR doesn't have the "Race on Sunday sell on Monday" effect anymore, and hasn't for a long time. With any luck, they'll buy into a form of racing that will involve actual cars and have a much more immdiate affect on the production line. Rally would be good, for one example. Get real cars on the racetrack again, not just the same car shell with different decals on it. This COULD be a good move for car buyers.

Yeah, and you can go buy an F1 car and drive it on the street! :rolleyes:

I agree they aren't "stock" cars, but its still the most exciting evenly matched type of course racing.

HOW COME I KNEW THAT THIS WOULD TURN INTO A "NASCAR SUCKS" THREAD!!!!! IF YA DON'T LIKE IT DON'T WATCH IT. THIS THREAD WAS ABOUT PONTIAC AND GM SCREWING UP. NOT WHO IS A NASCAR FAN AND WHO ISN'T!!!!

Didn't say anthing about F1. That's Ferrari territory, not Pontiac, anyway. Not saying NASCAR sucks, BTW. I'm not interested in it, but I won't put it down because it doesn't suit my taste. Wouldn't it make sense for GM to be diversified in racing endeavors? Chevy in NASCAR, Pontiac or Saturn in Rally, GMC in SCORE racing, Buick at Paris-Dakar or whatever. Diversity is a beautiful thing. Not like GM is pulling out all together. I'm just saying that they probably have a good reason, need to find out what it is.

Originally posted by 88 CuttyClassic
yeah nascar got too popular and it ruined the sport. how you gonna have a car on the track thats RWD but on the road its FWD??? Nascar died with the G-body!!!

Agree, it's just a name on a plastic body just like Pontiac is a auto line without an engine. Shouldn't have even been allowed in Nascar to begin with, when they stopped casting their own engines.
GM SUCKS!!!!:mad:

Pontiac will better be served by participating in racing that closer goes with its new line up of cars? Wow, are they looking to invade F-1 and IRL? I can see it now, "your new Bonneville is the same car that ran in the Long Beach Gran Prix, and now you can buy that same excitement" NOT!!!!!!! I fear the end of society as we know it. Dogs sleeping with cats, OJ set free, and now Toyota's in NASCAR. When will the madness end?

Mark

Pontiac pulled out because the Grand Prix body is a slug aero-wise and only a few teams still run them.

Last years champion (Tony Stewart) and the 2000 champ (Bobby Labonte) were the strongest running Pontiacs.

They both drive for Joe Gibbs Racing and as of this year they switched to Chevy for the better bodies.

No/very few teams using the Grand Prix, makes no sense to invest anything in the program, (for G.M.)

Mike

Eventually, I can see NASCAR making all the cars the same, no more brand names just indentical cars with drivers pulling numbers out of a hat to see which one they will drive.

Miss the "old" days when you could actually identify the different body styles. Remember when they had Chevys, OLDS, Buicks, Pontiacs, Fords, Mercurys, Dodges and Plymouths? Those were the days. Progress, got to love it.:rolleyes: