You can type here any text you want

Port Injection Alky

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
There was a post a few months ago someone did it,not on a Buick tho.

Can it be done.. sure. Is there an advantage.. More than likely no. If anything plumbing it, solenoids, mounting nozzles, etc.. bigger nightmare than its worth.

Get a system to work.. if you get to the limits of a simple system, then work on getting complicated. KISS is the best principle.

Just like running 12 fuel injectors.. can it be done.. :redface:

the old 6 nozzle NOS system didn't work back in the early days as good as the simple one nozzle in the plenum pipe :cool:

I'm port injecting alky through six home made nitrous port injection nozzles. A bunch of it. If I recall correctly, it's about 80 lbs per hr per cylinder, constant flow, on top of the 160 lb electronic injectors at max 85 percent duty cycle. My research has taught me, it's the best bet for getting equal distribution. It becomes much more important as the quantity of alcohol your injecting rises. Alcohol falls out of suspension easily with the intake temperatures it can produce and the possibility of unequal distribution is not worth the chance. At least in my case. In a gasoline application, where the alcohol is mainly used to lower combustion chamber temperature and not as a main source of fuel, it probably is not worth the plumbing nightmare to port inject it. Besides, the orifice size required to inject such small amounts per cylinder would be hard to keep from getting plugged.

I'm probably the one that made the post awhile back. I've running a port injection system with a progressive controller and it's been working great. It was a little more complicated to set up, but not really that bad. There were 2 reasons I went this route. One, I'm running an inline 6 (datsun 280zxt) and there has always been concerns about unequal distribution in a long manifold like mine when dealing with liquids, and 2, because this problem is easily magnified if running large amounts of methanol. I'm currently only running 6 M5 nozzles as I get the rest of the car figured out, but eventually will step up the amount of methanol. I'm using this system not only for knock control, but for the extra fuel. I'm running about 525whp with 52pph injectors and need the extra fuel from the meth. kit to keep a/f fuel ratios reasonable. Eventually, nozzle sizes will get bigger and pressures will be raised as well. There had been some concerns stated about unequal distribution in multi nozzle setup as well due to many nozzles and differnt length hoses and so on. I made a test rig this weekend to verify whether this was really a problem or not. I took 6 jars and set the nozzles up in the lids and fired the system till the jars were 3/4 full. Guess what, all jars were within a thumbnails thickness of each other and this was after being fired for around 20 seconds. Almost twice as long as it takes to go the 1/4...so its good enough for me. The only thing to be careful of is what solenoid you use. I purchased a solenoid from an un named alchy site (other than where I bought my kit) and it simply couldn't flow enough meth to keep pressures up. I recently bought one meant for alchy use on a nitrous kit instead. It's rated for up to 600hp worth of alchy flow, so it should be good enough for my needs for a long time...lol.

DonWG said:
I'm port injecting alky through six home made nitrous port injection nozzles. A bunch of it. If I recall correctly, it's about 80 lbs per hr per cylinder, constant flow, on top of the 160 lb electronic injectors at max 85 percent duty cycle. My research has taught me, it's the best bet for getting equal distribution. It becomes much more important as the quantity of alcohol your injecting rises. Alcohol falls out of suspension easily with the intake temperatures it can produce and the possibility of unequal distribution is not worth the chance. At least in my case. In a gasoline application, where the alcohol is mainly used to lower combustion chamber temperature and not as a main source of fuel, it probably is not worth the plumbing nightmare to port inject it. Besides, the orifice size required to inject such small amounts per cylinder would be hard to keep from getting plugged.
Have any pics of this setup?

thanks Jason

Quiky One said:

thanks Jason

I'm waiting for a 105mm throttle body to come in so I can mount it to a new upper manifold section that I hammer formed to look like a F1 air intake. It looks cool. I'll post some pics in a month or so.

Spork. I just checked out the pic of your intake setup. I would watch out for a distribution problem when you start increasing your delivery rates at the nozzles. Wouldn't it be best to feed the two distribution manifolds (one to three) by teeing in between them? I see a possible pressure drop problem with the one in the pic. Have you already tested for the future higher flows your planning on?

DonWG said:
I'm waiting for a 105mm throttle body to come in so I can mount it to a new upper manifold section that I hammer formed to look like a F1 air intake. It looks cool. I'll post some pics in a month or so.
Alright cool. Sounds like its going to be a slick setup.

Jason

DonWG said:
Spork. I just checked out the pic of your intake setup. I would watch out for a distribution problem when you start increasing your delivery rates at the nozzles. Wouldn't it be best to feed the two distribution manifolds (one to three) by teeing in between them? I see a possible pressure drop problem with the one in the pic. Have you already tested for the future higher flows your planning on?

The only tests I've done right now were with the m5 nozzles. I did 2 rigs, one with large baby food jars and then with larger jelly jars. I sprayed into the jelly jars for over a minute and the volume sprayed was similar results as before. Only a thumbnails difference. I thought about teeing into the middle like suggested, and since I've got the system on the bench right now, I may alter it before re-installation. I thought about going a slightly different route tho. I thought about putting a T off the feed line and going into both ends to equalize pressure from both sides (even though I'm not convinced its even a problem at this point). Once I get everything hooked back up and on the car, I'll try to remember to take some pics and post them here. I'm still waiting on my new clutch get get here so I can see what the car can really do.

Quiky One said:

thanks Jason

I haven't figured out how to attach pics to the thread so I put the picture on my website. See sig. Go to the GN Project page. I had the capacity problem fixed on my site.

I thought I had the capacity problem fixed. I'm going to cut down the slide show size.

The pics arent working for me. If you email them to me I will host them. Let me know.

Jason

Quiky One said:
The pics arent working for me. If you email them to me I will host them. Let me know.

Jason

I'm interested. Where would you host them?

By the way, I just finished loading a shorter full screen slide show.

DonWG said:
I'm interested. Where would you host them?

By the way, I just finished loading a shorter full screen slide show.
Photobucket...or I could resize them and post them in a thread. Let me know.

Jason

Back