You can type here any text you want

Porting Champion GN1 Aluminum heads

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87we410877

How much is it to have champion CNC port my heads? I have GN1 aluminum stock ported from Champion.

How much is it to have champion CNC port my heads? I have GN1 aluminum stock ported from Champion.

That is a good question, I can't find any information on their website.
However they have 3 vendors in their link page that are out of business.
You may have options closer that could give you good.
Bobby at RPE, Bill Anderson, Scott Merkel are just some that come to mind.

That is a good question, I can't find any information on their website.
However they have 3 vendors in their link page that are out of business.
You may have options closer that could give you good.
Bobby at RPE, Bill Anderson, Scott Merkel are just some that come to mind.

Yea i guess. I figured with champion making the head, my best bet would be to have them do it. With their R&D i know it will be done right with the CNC program. Bobby, Bill, and Scott are all exellent. I'll give tom a call righ tnow at champion. Thanks.

Just got off the phone with Tom. Its $750. They check the guides, check spring pressure, and cut the valves and seats if needed. And of corse port them.

Just got off the phone with Tom. Its $750. They check the guides, check spring pressure, and cut the valves and seats if needed. And of corse port them.

That seems very fair!
Let us know the numbers when they are done please.

If you dont plan on camming the engine and running up over 5600 rpm the gain will be small vs. unported. Those heads need spring and rpm and they will make a lot of power.

If you dont plan on camming the engine and running up over 5600 rpm the gain will be small vs. unported. Those heads need spring and rpm and they will make a lot of power.

Hey Bison how much more of a cam [duration] would one have to use to tell the difference? I have cncd GN1 from champion and i think my 210/215 is to small for those big ported heads.

That cam may be fine depending on turbo/converter but you need to plan to rev the motor over 6000
Mike

Hey Bison how much more of a cam [duration] would one have to use to tell the difference? I have cncd GN1 from champion and i think my 210/215 is to small for those big ported heads.

I would use a different grind to get more out of the heads. It takes a lot of other considerations like the boost pressure and the torque converter. You are limited mechanically to about .550-.560 lift with the hydraulic setups if you want to be able to rev them repeated and not have to change out springs often. I have a 218/224@110 and the car pulls hard to 6200. Its a 9.3:1 233ci engine with a 66 S trim. Boost has been backpressure limited in my instance to 26psi. It went 114mph in the eighth and 137mphin the quarter on an aborted pass at around 1200 ft. My peak torque is around 5600 and it appears based on the data logs that peak hp is around 5900. If you wanted to keep the small hydraulic id consider a 4 bolt turbo and plan on running 30+ psi to extend the effective operating range a little more. If you want the best possible scenario for power id go with solids and at least a 218/218 cam and upwards of .600 lift. You will have to throw the boost at it if you want the smaller cam to make decent power up top. I know on mine if i were to go with a lighter solid lifter and a different grind and i 4 bolted it to get rid of the backpressure i would be making at least 100hp more with little increase in boost.

I have a 218-212 comp roller. Art carr 9" 3400 non lock up converter and will have a 6765H turbo. I shift at 6200. I think the heads and ported stock intake will make a big difference over the stock intake and stock dimension aluminum GN1's I have now.

Back