Posi-help?

WHN378

My posi is no longer posi. After 140,000 miles and hundreds of 1/4mile pass' and countless numbers of burnouts. With slicks on the car , when I try to do a burn out only one wheel spins. I am just assuming the clutches are worn. It is a ten bolt 8.5" ring gear with 3.73 gears from a 1984 Hurst / Olds (same as 442). Would this be the same posi as a 3.42 Regal rear? Is it an "Eaton" type?

Is it hard to find parts for and is it a D.I.Y. project ? (average skills) I have 28 spline Moser axles and still have the C-clips. The car never went faster than 11.80 with this set up. Any help or link to this topic is appreciated, thanks, Bill.

Rebuild parts are still plentiful. You can do a search on here for previous threads that have had some good discussions and how-to's.If you are considering upgrading, go w/the eaton, as they are rebuildable. diy is relative to your abilities. If you are laying down the power, "c"-clip eliminators should be in your future.

parts will be easy to find- they used the same posi unit in everything with an 8.5 from the early 70's until the late 80's..
as of a few years ago, GM still sold a clutch kit for those.