You can type here any text you want

possible build

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DanRHeller

I am going to be moving in a bit, and it's time for me to buy a GN finally. I want to have a solid low 10-high 9 car, that will not blow. I plan on buying a GN or turbo T, and putting a nice strong motor in it, but I know nothing about these blocks, or what is available for these cars. (i'm an LSx and LX guy) What kind of build for a motor and turbo and rear and trans and all would I need for a reliable low 10 high 9 car?

If i were you id buy a roller and put a lsx motor with a turbo-alot of gn guys are going this route-to achieve your goal with a buick motor you would need a stage 2 block and about $15K to get there.

If i were you id buy a roller and put a lsx motor with a turbo-alot of gn guys are going this route-to achieve your goal with a buick motor you would need a stage 2 block and about $15K to get there.

I am fine with the money, I want a v6 GN. How far can I take the stock block with all forged internals? How well do these rears and trannies hold up?

9 sec gn

I am in the process of building the same motor you are asking about. I am going with stock 109 block, girdled bottom end with forged crank and rods, and pistons. GN1 aluminum (race ported heads) with a custom roller cam. ported stock lower intake, precision upper, 70 mm throttlebody. billet 67hpq turbo and good front mount intercooler (pte). arp studs everywhere. Reliability will solely depend on Tuning!!! If it gets lean it will not live. Should run high 9's with no problems, I have run high 9's with alot less and never hurt a part. But always stayed on the rich side when tuning and over built the trans and rear end.
Roger Thompson

If your going to keep the car under 3400 lbs you could use the stock block and run it reliably for a very long time. You will need to use all forged internals and have a good fuel system and management for longevity. If you have the $ then id use a stage 2 block if you want to repeatedly make 9 sec passes. Trans is a roll of the dice under low 10's. Unless your familiar with building the trans i would go with a 3 speed 400. It will have better gearing for a high hp turbo application and will last much longer.

How much do you have to spend?

IMO....Reliable at the level you want...
Engine
TA alum or stage block strongest or 109 girdled with steel caps weaker
Forged stroker assembly
Champion or TA alum heads race ported
Ported Champion intake
Deep sump
Roller valve train
Fast or equiv Engine Management
Fuel system

trans
400 the strongest and will last over the 200 before freshning, no OD though
There are some 2004r's fully built that will do it but wont go the time behind the power the 400 will IMO

Rear end

30 spline axles, good strong posi unit, Girdle, Ford End C Clip Elim's. Also driveshft and yokes for bigger joints anbd strength

Thats some highlights

Id say $18k give or take to start. Now cage, suspension and all is more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Best bet is to buy one already done it will be waaay cheaper

Good luck

I'll probably go the stock block and fully forged bottom end route. I gotta research it some more.

Back