You can type here any text you want

Power combos

• Thread starter Thread starter JRIGSBY_WE4
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
J

JRIGSBY_WE4

My WE4 has the following; .030 over pistons, 205/205 cam, ported heads, 009 inj. Red Armstrong chip, fuel pump, bosch adj. fuel reg., What is the best Turbo, Intercooler, Stall convertor that will maximize performance with what I already have? Oh yeah, and does anyone have a cheap powertrax locker for the 8.5 rear? I'll do a new gear and posi unit later, the locker is just cheaper and faster to install at the moment. The one wheel gig has to go.

What do you want to do with the car?

Id probably go with a TE44, MSD50s, V4 Intercooler, Stock Convertor and run pretty easy 11.50s at the track with ported heads and cam.

But thats just me. :D Others will tell you your gonna need a big honking Turbo, Front Mount and Big Stall. ;)

As mike sort of said, your limiting factor will be the converter. If you want a street bruiser the goes to the track occasionally then I would follow mikes advice. If you want a big honkin' turbo, your going to need to step up to bigger injectors and a bigger converter.

Originally posted by TTA89
What do you want to do with the car?

Id probably go with a TE44, MSD50s, V4 Intercooler, Stock Convertor and run pretty easy 11.50s at the track with ported heads and cam.

But thats just me. :D Others will tell you your gonna need a big honking Turbo, Front Mount and Big Stall. ;)

If I were ever to get a 2nd TR that is exactly the combo I would run, without going into the motor though.

Since you're motor is already done, I would second Mike's recomendations.

I want to run consistent mid 11s, still drive it to the track, and drive it wherever I want to. Here is the thing, I want to be able to launch with alot of boost, I want good 60' times. Can I do this with a stock stall speed and no transbrake?

Remember that if you are running mid 11s that they can kick you out of the track. Anything faster than 12.00 requires a 6point roll bar. A 44 can get you into the mid 11s, but you will be pushing it pretty good. Once you go bigger than a 44 you will start to need bigger parts all around, and mid 11s is where things start to brake.

Faster than mid 11s will require big injectors: 55s $650 for the package, converter $700+$300 install, Turbo $1000, Slicks & wheels(cheapo)$500, and on and on.

Ok, that seems to be accurate info. So in order to easily make this car a reliable driver don't go faster than 11.50. Thats fine with me, hell thats scootin' pretty good. Not many Mustanks that fast that drive on the street where I'm from. Will the TE44 spool quickly and allow me to launch with how much boost on the front brakes only???

Originally posted by JRIGSBY_WE4
I want to run consistent mid 11s, still drive it to the track, and drive it wherever I want to. Here is the thing, I want to be able to launch with alot of boost, I want good 60' times. Can I do this with a stock stall speed and no transbrake?

If you keep the turbo small TE44/TA49, you can get pretty easy 1.65 60fts using the stock D5 and good brakes (7-10 psi launch)

TE44/TA49 will easily go mid 11's with a good combo: 42+ fuel injectors, good intercooler, mild head port, 28" tall tires, good exhaust, race chip/gas.

My car had the stock longblock and I wasn't afraid to drive it anywhere and it 11.50's @ 118 with a TA49/36+ injectors/stock intercooler with big neck/stock converter.

Thanks UNGN. That makes me feel alot better, those converters can get quite expensive. I'd rather spend the money on a good intercooler, Does anyone know the price range on the V4 intercooler? Is there a website with tech. info?

I think the v4 lists for $699. I bought mine used off this board for $500 to the door. Keep an eye out for used intercoolers. Unless there is a hole in it, there isn't much that can go wrong with them.

Thanks for all the info guys, appreciate it. I've now got to find me a posi unit...

Definately consider the combo Mike listed above. I don't think you would be at all disappointed with your car. It would probably be an absolute blast to drive on the street.

Back