Power master - blowing lots of fuses (help)

channer

Hi all

My powermaster started acting up tonite. I've been blowing fuses all the way home (had to stop off to buy more fuses).

I replaced the accumulator ball about 2 weeks ago thinking that was the problem... but NOT!!!

One thing I did notice is that the motor seems to run for ever before it shuts down. I took a look at the "Powermaster Diagnostic" on the GNTTYPE website but I don't have the tools to check it with!!!

any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. (at this moment, I rather keep the PM)

TIA.....

If you change the pressure switch and the problem still there, your pump is too weak to build enough pressure have the pressure switch shut off the pump, so the pump will run untill the fuse blows. Go get a whole new (rebuild) unit from Autozone for $179.00 and be done with it. Lifetime warranty.

Good luck

Prasad

One additional thought. Do you have any aftermarket equipment such as a large stereo or alarm installed? Pro installers see that 30 amp circuit for the powermaster as a great place to tie into for their equipment. Any shorts in the wiring to the add on equipment could cause the powermaster fuse to blow even if the powermaster is working properly. This has happened to some folks that I know.

Throw it in the trash and go vacuum. I switched mine last year, total cost with Kirban block, was around $60. Might be cheaper and easier than fooling with the PM.

The autozone PM seems to be holding up well for me. The replacement job took me about an hour- piece of cake, well, it is kinda tricky getting the pin out from behind the brake pedal:) other than that it is easy..

You may need to rebuild the master cylinder, too. Without gages, you can't really check the switch, but if the pump runs too much, it can be because the pump is worn, or because of internal leakage in the master cylinder. GM, I think, still has the rebuild kit, for a reasonable price. I swapped in rebuilt PM, from Autozone, when I had similar symptoms, and it's worked Ok for a year. (knock on wood!)
George W
Raleigh, NC