power plate Question

I've been trying to stay out of this debate, primarilly because of my lack of irrivutable evidence, such as dyno pulls with and without the plate.
I have one in my 86, and will never give it up.

My only evidence (weak and meaningless according to some on this board), is a few pulls at the drag strip, and the last 2 years on the street.

I got mine at the Las Vegas drag strip during the first annual Buick meet there. I didn't know it at the time, but had BADLY wounded a head gasket that first day of time trials (not paying attention to one's setup can do that ya know) :mad:
Installed the plate late that afternoon in the pits, came back the next day, and still ran the quickest and fastest runs this car has ever seen! And all this at LAS Vegas altitude (the D.A. was somewhere near 3500 feet that day)

How does it perform on the street? Well, I was able to run more than a pound of boost when back in CA on that crappy gas, more than I ever could before. Out here where the octane and quality of gas is much better, I am now running my boost MUCH higher than I ever thought possible (all this with exactly the same state of tune that I've run for two years now). In first and second gear the car easilly tolerates 20.5-21 lbs. of boost, and in third and fourth it has no trouble with 18 lbs. of boost. The knock retard is barely tickled at about .5º during shifts.

I don't know, does that constitute nothing more than a testimonial? Probably, but it works on my car.

Now, if the nay sayers had tried the device and found it to detract from performance or otherwise not work as it should, I guess I could better understand thier "doubting thomas" attitude.
Ok, argue the point, claim it can't work and be done with it. But name calling and flame throwing based on nothing more than your opinions, doesn't do much to bolster anyone's opinions of you and your level of maturity (or lack of it).

OK, I'm done, this thread is about the longest I think I've ever seen :eek: I'm amazed at how much bickering and name calling a 60$ part can generate.

Oh well, onward ;)

I too have stayed away from this topic. I have installed 2 of these plates. I was wondering who has taken boost reading on the side of the intake under the plate. Drill & tap a fitting here and take reading without and with the plate that would tell you something if all conditions were the same. I too have wondered why all the stuff over a 60.00 part, I remember the 120.00 spacer plates. wow

I've got 2 of them also.

Then again I'd love to see the EGT data for all 6 cylinders before an after. :)

Goober you out there....? ;)

Originally posted by Bobtempest
I too have stayed away from this topic. I have installed 2 of these plates. I was wondering who has taken boost reading on the side of the intake under the plate. Drill & tap a fitting here and take reading without and with the plate that would tell you something if all conditions were the same. I too have wondered why all the stuff over a 60.00 part, I remember the 120.00 spacer plates. wow

If I read correctly, on page 2 of this thread, Russ Merritt states that he did this and found no difference from readings taken above the plate.

Prior to this, Jason states that this was part of his testing and found no difference. Now we know you cannot trust vendors, but, Russ is on the other side of the country so it will be hard to prove conspiracy, I think. :)

Ah, whoever came up with the egt confirmation is better than measured air flow is a genius. It has become a rallying cry of the non-believers. Let's conduct this test on the grassy knoll. :)

Sometimes, I think science is more important than reality. The good thing about science is that it can be revisted about every 25 years and the errors of the past can be explained away and adjusted while reality motors on. :D The Power Plate is gonna be a real popular subject about 25 years from now, I suspect.

I do want to go record to say that I believe in the plate is an asset as is Jason to the Buick world. I asked this because if someone did it on a stage 2 engine running say 26lbs. It would put the matter to rest. If the readings were equal above and below the plate.

I have the plate also, Car runs very strong and I'm very happy with new combo. To those that bash or don't believe, Don't buy it! I'm going to see difference at the next Chicago land Buick dyno shoot out, With and with out the plate, I can tell you that 5 out of 6 of the top numbers had pp on them. I will display results in March, Even though there will be members stating that the dyno is inaccurate or promoting the products for vendor. There are plenty of products that I believe not to work from summit catalog, But I don't consume my day posting oppinion or frustration over the matter! Even more foolish to state oppinion with out purchase or trying for ones self. I will print out the pestimist and see who has them in their sig next year.

Stage 2??

A Stage 2 (Stage II?) has to have a custom intake, doghouse, etc. Don't think the power plate would fit, probably not needed, either, IF the custom intake was done right. Jason? I don't know this for sure, so somebody else chime in.

The power plate is custom designed for a stock intake and certain plenums...not all plenums. Not other intakes. The plate is different for each specific plenum. It will not work with a Hemco.

Of course there are people out there that could do the test. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Jason has done adequate testing in his mind, and 97%, or better, of his customer base believes that it does work. A significant number of his customers have hard evidence that it does work whether by measured performance, dyno tests, etc.

It was demonstrated in back to backs at the Nats in front of many onlookers.

Jason is somewhat unusual in that he posted the flow numbers he achieved both before and after as well as the other tests performed. How many vendors/inventors do that? He has put himself out on the limb to be proven wrong by providing hard numbers. He even stated that in some cases, he got more flow. Now we all know that is impossible, right? Maybe not, not if the flow path of the stock combo is such that free flow is impeded.

Of course there are people out there that could spend their own money to try to prove him wrong. It might be embarrassing to prove him right, however. And, more importantly, what would it profit them?

Jason does not need to waste money further proving his claims as they have been proven on the track. It is hard to disprove speed improvements.

Sometimes, I think this product just irritates the experts because it is too simple and does not look like it could work without restricting flow. I also think it irritates some because Jason appears to be a machinist and does not have the education to design something like this.

But then, the experts said Smokey Yunick could not do a lot of things, but, he did. I bet Smokey would love the Power Plate. :)

Re: Stage 2??

Originally posted by Ormand
A Stage 2 (Stage II?) has to have a custom intake, doghouse, etc. Don't think the power plate would fit, probably not needed, either, IF the custom intake was done right. Jason? I don't know this for sure, so somebody else chime in.

An offcenter Stage 2 or a stage 1 can use the stock intake and the offcenter block that TA is doing will also. I knew I should have kept quiet.

I gain nothing by proving it works. ;) I just did a simple test by tapping the manifold below the plate to see if the boost reacted slower and putting it close to the front under the throttle body. NO CHANGE! Same as before the plate and tapped at the throttle body. So restriction, I think not! Basically I was trying to prove it wrong so I could throw it in the trash. FOILED AGAIN!:mad:

Well I am going to make one more statement...I belive I can speak for Hyper as he is my older brother.

We never said the plate and I quote thiis "do what it suppose to do" . What my point was that the plate served as a restricter thus limiting the actual boost getting to the cylinders which richend up the motor. Boost is measured at the throttle body not at the cylinder.

By doing this you are making yourself think you are running more boost but actualy your not.

So if you was running 16lbs with no knock, installed a plate that acts as a restricter then of course you could turn the boost up a pound or two without getting knock as you are just getting back to where you started.

This has been my position on this from jump street.....

And oh yea...had the plate and just sold it...Never put it on the car.

I just had to ask- what exactly did you smoke before you wrote that? Seriously, did that even make sense to you? I think everyone is more than happy to let you and your brother believe whatever you will, but since he has decided to respond to other threads saying that the plate may not work, its starting to irritate people. Did you read the 2 or 3 posts showing test results from pressure readings ABOVE AND BELOW THE PLATE?? I get the feeling you just want to stand firm in your ignorance, since you've carried on this far. And thats fine, but don't take others with you. Some people come to this board looking for useful information, they don't need to hear what 2 guys theorize to be true, when niether of them have any evidence to support their misbelievings. Argue all you want, but keep it in this thread, do not post elsewhere to some poor unsuspecting newcomer, that the power plate doesn't work, or may not work. Please?Thank you.

Bob, why not post? You just educated some of us.

Boosted...good thing you sold it because it was not made for a sheet metal intake. :) It is safer to dispute that it does not work from a standpoint of looking at it and knowing that it must restrict flow than from having misused it and getting caught there.

I guess one can gamble if you want to call it that and lay the money out and test it at the track on your car. If you do not have a gain and I bet in most cases you will. Resale the plate for 40. You lose $20. Why all the talk? Take action, make a move. What's the cost of head gaskets and your back if you blow a gasket? I for one have replaced bearings in 5 and 6 in the past. The best test is always the KR and 1/4 mile times. Many have improved in these areas it seems, our TTA did. Any 272" offcenter run Jason's plate?

Originally posted by BoostedBug
Well I am going to make one more statement...I belive I can speak for Hyper as he is my older brother.

We never said the plate and I quote thiis "do what it suppose to do" . What my point was that the plate served as a restricter thus limiting the actual boost getting to the cylinders which richend up the motor. Boost is measured at the throttle body not at the cylinder.

By doing this you are making yourself think you are running more boost but actualy your not.

So if you was running 16lbs with no knock, installed a plate that acts as a restricter then of course you could turn the boost up a pound or two without getting knock as you are just getting back to where you started.

This has been my position on this from jump street.....

And oh yea...had the plate and just sold it...Never put it on the car.

Sorry to blow your little theory out the window, but my boost is measured "post plate" (in the lower plenum, so-to-speak)
It's really not hard to do, you just drill and tap a hole. As has been stated a number of times already. It's been tested above and below the plate by others. Let me repeat what they've been trying to tell you. NO DIFFERENCE
Let it go!

Originally posted by Steve Wood
The power plate is custom designed for a stock intake and certain plenums...not all plenums. Not other intakes. The plate is different for each specific plenum. It will not work with a Hemco.

Of course there are people out there that could do the test. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Jason has done adequate testing in his mind, and 97%, or better, of his customer base believes that it does work. A significant number of his customers have hard evidence that it does work whether by measured performance, dyno tests, etc.

It was demonstrated in back to backs at the Nats in front of many onlookers.

Jason is somewhat unusual in that he posted the flow numbers he achieved both before and after as well as the other tests performed. How many vendors/inventors do that? He has put himself out on the limb to be proven wrong by providing hard numbers. He even stated that in some cases, he got more flow. Now we all know that is impossible, right? Maybe not, not if the flow path of the stock combo is such that free flow is impeded.

Of course there are people out there that could spend their own money to try to prove him wrong. It might be embarrassing to prove him right, however. And, more importantly, what would it profit them?

Jason does not need to waste money further proving his claims as they have been proven on the track. It is hard to disprove speed improvements.

Sometimes, I think this product just irritates the experts because it is too simple and does not look like it could work without restricting flow. I also think it irritates some because Jason appears to be a machinist and does not have the education to design something like this.

But then, the experts said Smokey Yunick could not do a lot of things, but, he did. I bet Smokey would love the Power Plate. :)

OMG!! There you go Steve, injecting common sense and reality into the discussion :eek: haven't I warned you about that in the past ;) ;)

How about the real reason for not doing the EGT tests? :rolleyes:

Very convoluted non-arguement you must have been in management or sales.

Maybe we could take up a collection and rent Goobers car with the data logger. :)

Unbelievable, really....

How about a real reason for doing the test?

I gave you a perfectly good one for not doing one. There is no economic benefit for Jason to do one. The cost of further testing a proven product for the benefit of five people that have looked at it and don't believe it can work won't pay out.

If measured air flow is not good enough, what makes you think egts are more meaningful? He does not claim perfection, only substantial improvement. A claim that has been repeatedly born out in reality. EGTs can also be misleading as they may be affected by port design, variation in injector flow, carbon build up in the chambers, variations in cylinder pressure due to wear, combustion chamber volume, etc. So, what's the next test?

But, there is no problem in taking up a collection amongst the disbelievers and conducting the tests. No matter what result you manage to arrive at, you will still be back to the fact that a very high percentage of the cars so equipped run better and that conclusion is backed by performance, and your favorite, the dyno. :D

Sometimes some people get so caught up in technology that they ignore the obvious which is improved performance in this case. Why this product works may be open for debate. This is America, anyone that wishes to spend his own money to prove it works for a reason other than that believed by the manufacturer is welcome to do so.

I guess that it too convoluted for you. Try this.

It would be poor business for Jason to dilute his profit margin by investing more money in a proven product that satisfies his customer base with no real chance of additional return. That is management.