You can type here any text you want

Power possibilities

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hardway

My TTA is about to go under the knife for a full on engine rebuild and upgrade. I have been reading through the threads trying to get an idea of what I could expect from build up. It will be as follows:

Stock GN short block (got a killer deal on it and it is done, bagging the TTA block for now)
Stock slightly ported TTA heads
100lb springs
212/212 cam
True Roller Timing chain
50lb injectors
TE-44 Turbo
RJC Power Plate
Stock Throttle Body
Gumpy's CAI
Rebuilt trans (internals and convertor unknown)
Stock DP
Stock and true legal cat
Flowmaster muffler
Stock rear end
A chip will be burned/tuned for the setup

I know this will be alot of guesstimation but I am just curious as to what everyone thinks.

Times in my sig were done on a stock block, stock crank, stock pistons, stock rods.

Roller cam, Champion heads, TE67 turbo, FM

Sounds like a mid-high 11 second combo. Limit is the turbo. Then cam.. then cheap heads.

I agree with Razor it sounds like a mid 11 second combo, with the turbo being a limiting factor. Though I think before the cam and heads become a restriction maybe the exhaust will(and I wouldnt use a flowmaster on these cars).

Steve

I hope you guys are right about getting better heads over a mild set for more power :biggrin:

Just wondering where Ill be when I GO THRU THE TRAPS

:) I just purchased a te-44, 009 injectors, xp fuel pump, hot wire kit, terry houston downpipe, kn air filter, 160 thermostat, stainless headers, stock trans and stock converter, 342 gears

Champion Heads

Thanks for the info on the Champion heads Grumpy, I had a couple other people tell me I have to have better heads, a new intake, and plenum and throttle body I should get the Champion GN1's or I should ge. Any help would be appreciate.t Aluminum heads. This is a street car sooo not to crazy:-)

Please I am new to GN's, I have big block Camaro's, Gto's, Chevelle's, but I love the stance and ride of these cars. So it time for me to learn

Thanks for the info guys. I am aware the compression ratio will be higher and I may consider running an alky kit to help or run a thicker head gasket. I am also looking at a better DP but if I am in anywhere in the 11's with what I already have and what I am planning to do, I am happy. The car is a cruiser and backup vehicle... for now. In the future I will build the TTA block up with correct forged pistons, get a bigger turbo, a DP, and other goodies. The all stock setup currently has 200,889 miles on it and still pulling strong but a cam knock along with unexplainable reliability issues are prompting the rebuild.

Alky is still the best mod I have ever gotten. It is priceless. No knock anymore. Get a good set of heads and a different muffler and you will have a very nice setup.

Jason

What's the muffler of choice? Anyone have a part number? I have some POS muffler on my car that needs to be replaced. It's an off brand Flowmaster style, glad I can open the dump whenever I need to.

Hardway, Are you keeping the cat beacause of local emission laws? I ask becasue if you used a dump piece in replace of the cat you wouldn't have to spend money on a muffler. I use a electric dump pipe on a cutout where the cat used to be. It's alot fun to pop it open on an unsuspecting victims on a Saturday night cruise. The price for this would/maybe be about the cost of a intermediate pipe and a quality muffler along with having the factory tips put on the new muffler.
My car will still run a mid 12 second quarter with with the dump closed. There is a string of people on turbotransam.com putting together a group purchase for electric cutouts. But you may HAVE to use a cat where you live. Thought you may be interested in an alternative. IT's also fun to hear the turbo spool up when the exhaust is open:smile:
vbgarage.php

vbgarage.php

Yes, I am keeping the cat due to emissions laws here in Austin. They have never tested a cat for true internals that I know but I don't want to mess with it. You are right, a test pipe and electric cut out would be sweet. Right now funds are a little low due to the cost of the build up already. If I can go in on the GP I will but I just don't know yet.

The 89tta.com site recommended a Walker Dynomax muffler. As it happened, my car came with a brand new one on it. I like it. Quiet at cruising speed with no drone. Nice rumble at idle and sounds healthy under acceleration. No ricey noise; sounds like a V8 at idle. I have no idea how good it flows, but if 89tta liked it, it can't be too bad.

Back