Power steering pump fitting question.

That fitting you have circled is just pressed in. On my hybrid project, I simply pulled it out and tapped it 1/2" NPT. Easy Peasy

I’m going to tap this pump npt, I can’t seem to find the correct size to tap the hole on the reman pump I have. Hole measures 3/4” and my 3/4 npt tap is much to large. What am I doing wrong here? I would think 1/2” would be way to small unless NPT taps run different in sizes?

NPT is pipe thread. Which means you're tapping a hole to install a pipe that has that size as an I.D. It's not like bolts that are numerically sized for the actual threads.

In other words, a 1/2 pipe is a 1/8 wall would have an OD of 3/4. So a 1/2NPT tap would be sized for 3/4 hole.

On a side not I'd do two things before you go through a bunch of BS modifying that pump. Once is to make sure the ID of whatever fitting you're wanting to install is as least as large as the nipple you're replacing.

Second is to test that exact pump under real world use to make sure it's up to par. Aftermarket pumps have a very high success rate of not being able to to handle steering and braking.

NPT is pipe thread. Which means you're tapping a hole to install a pipe that has that size as an I.D. It's not like bolts that are numerically sized for the actual threads.

In other words, a 1/2 pipe is a 1/8 wall would have an OD of 3/4. So a 1/2NPT tap would be sized for 3/4 hole.

On a side not I'd do two things before you go through a bunch of BS modifying that pump. Once is to make sure the ID of whatever fitting you're wanting to install is as least as large as the nipple you're replacing.

Second is to test that exact pump under real world use to make sure it's up to par. Aftermarket pumps have a very high success rate of not being able to to handle steering and braking.

Much appreciated information. Not much of a hassle doing this to the pump I was just having some issues with sizing the correct tap, as from what I found which wasn’t through extensive searching I was only finding reman pumps for our cars and I came across 1 that was pretty pricey. Any suggestions? I’m basically just trying to stop the leaks and get some of this whining under control since my hydroboost install. Pump was quiet for a while and started to get noisy slowly again and brakes are a little funny too but stops very well. The pressure lines are all AN I believe that came with the kit but when I looked it seems like the feed hose from the reservoir to the pump was leaky and figuring air was getting sucked in as well. So trying to eliminate that and move on to the next.

My advice it to go vacuum, but I know how hard it is to abandon something you're already deep into.

From what I've read the current supply of pumps just aren't rated to handle the additional load from braking.

At least with vacuum, you always know it's there on decell.

I wouldn't have anything but Hydroboost but to get rid of the whining i needed to go with a PST reservoir.

i looked at the vacuum set ups and ended up going to h.boost, i modified a reservoir from TR parts and added a separate return and also a cooler to slow the flow down, it works but i just think i have a leaky return hose which is sucking air, i also believe i removed the factory pump and feed hose so i think its time for a upgrade. i got a tap coming today and going to hit the parts store for some JIC fittings and try an get this thing buttoned up. on the next note i need to go in a tighten every intercooler bolt and bracket...... anyone have a front mount IC laying around willing to part for cheap? lol worth a try anyway.... would like to clear up some room in the front of this motor and stop tightening these bolts every damn day...

That fitting you have circled is just pressed in. On my hybrid project, I simply pulled it out and tapped it 1/2" NPT. Easy Peasy

What brand or type of tap did you use if you remember. I got a 1/2 npt Tap tapered and with the taper it only put in a few threads and bottoms out on the little sleeve that’s in that hole...
image.jpg

What brand or type of tap did you use if you remember. I got a 1/2 npt Tap tapered and with the taper it only put in a few threads and bottoms out on the little sleeve that’s in that hole...

This is where it gets expensive... You have to cut off another pipe tap and go deeper. And if that's not enough, cut it again (or hack up a 3rd), and see if that works. Or, I guess you could save money by just hacking up your existing tap over and over.

That'll work as long as you never need to tap or clean up a 1/2NPT in the future.

What brand or type of tap did you use if you remember. I got a 1/2 npt Tap tapered and with the taper it only put in a few threads and bottoms out on the little sleeve that’s in that hole... View attachment 334308

Are you using a 1/2-20 or a 1/2-14??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i modified my $13 tap from amazon on my grinding wheel and it worked but didnt cut the threads deep enough, so i used a steel pipe to JIC fitting and as i was threading it in slowly last night i broke the casting right off...... oops. now i am just trashing the current set-up and going with a pump that is modified for the fittings already, which i should of done in the first place but i thought i could brush up on my customization skills which are not that well anyway lol ill post up the new set-up which possibly i may pick up today or over the weekend. also looking to get a front mount IC in the process. and i was using a 1/2-14 NPT tapered tap then modified to a bottoming tap.

i modified my $13 tap from amazon on my grinding wheel and it worked but didnt cut the threads deep enough, so i used a steel pipe to JIC fitting and as i was threading it in slowly last night i broke the casting right off...... oops. now i am just trashing the current set-up and going with a pump that is modified for the fittings already, which i should of done in the first place but i thought i could brush up on my customization skills which are not that well anyway lol ill post up the new set-up which possibly i may pick up today or over the weekend. also looking to get a front mount IC in the process. and i was using a 1/2-14 NPT tapered tap then modified to a bottoming tap.

Thanks, I’m getting a bottoming tap, let’s see how it works for me lol

Thanks, I’m getting a bottoming tap, let’s see how it works for me lol

bottoming taps are hard to come by unless you have a machine shop store local, standard hardware store does not have them. guy on youtube does a nice video on how to modify them though.

I just ordered one online... Keep us posted, I like to know how you end up doing it in case the tap doesn’t work for me as well.

so i made a purchase, well a couple of purchases. went with a product from summit racing, ill give more details when i receive items. pump i bought is threaded on inlet and outlet sides for AN fittings and its polished, we will see how it goes in the next few days...

If you milled out the pump housing down to the lower seat hole area you could probably tap a ton of threads in there.

Plug hole set up on miller and get the entire hole the necessary size for the pipe tap to give you the thickness of threads you would need for the adapter you are using.

That assumes there are no side holes milled slots or anything below that step area, I never looked closely at one except in these pictures.

Much appreciated information. Not much of a hassle doing this to the pump I was just having some issues with sizing the correct tap, as from what I found which wasn’t through extensive searching I was only finding reman pumps for our cars and I came across 1 that was pretty pricey. Any suggestions? I’m basically just trying to stop the leaks and get some of this whining under control since my hydroboost install. Pump was quiet for a while and started to get noisy slowly again and brakes are a little funny too but stops very well. The pressure lines are all AN I believe that came with the kit but when I looked it seems like the feed hose from the reservoir to the pump was leaky and figuring air was getting sucked in as well. So trying to eliminate that and move on to the next.

What power steering fluid were you using ? I just flushed my system when i did a new pulley and went with this one. I read the reviews and people said it helped to get rid of whining, I didn't have this issue but went with it none the less, might be worth a try.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rpo-01326

I dind't know anybody actually used ''power steering fluid'' in power steering systems.